Calgary Jeep Association

Linked Events

• CJA Boxing Day Run: December 26, 2011

Author Topic: CJA Boxing Day Run  (Read 23482 times)

Offline w squared

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Keamy Hungry!
CJA Boxing Day Run
« on: November 15, 2011, 11:09:30 AM »
I will be leading the CJA Boxing day Open run on December 26th in Waiparous.

Requirements:
Good AT or MT tires, minimum size 32". Please be prepared to air down to 15psi or less.
Full size spare
Vehicle in good mechanical condition (no leaks)
Proper recovery points (both front and rear)
Warm winter clothing (and footwear)for every person in the vehicle, and extra clothing and footwear.
Extra food and water for everyone in the vehicle
Full tank of gas
CB Radio
Recovery strap
Rear locker or a winch (unless you're putting tire chains on)
Shovel
A good attitude  :)

Recommended:
Tire chains (especially for those with 33" or smaller tires)
Axe and/or saw

We'll meet at Smitty's for 8:00 AM, with a full tank of fuel please. You may want to fuel in Calgary, and consider bringing a Jerry can....I don't know what service stations in Cochrane will be open on boxing day.

I followed a rainbow out to a garage and found a leprichaun. The rainbow ended in a potted cactus on his porch, but there was no gold :(

Offline jeepgrl

• UberWheeler
  • All those JKs are starting to look the same...
Re: CJA Boxing Day Run
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2011, 12:18:05 PM »
I will be there... Boxing Day shopping is overrated.  I'd rather be wheeling  :-*
Current project:
2012 2-door Orange Crush JK
AEV 3.5" lift
33" Mikey Thompson MTZ
Smittybilt XRC front and rear bumpers
Warn VR800 winch

BUILT AND SOLD: Silver 2007 JKU (because they all look the same now anyway)

Offline NUXJR

• That CB Yapper
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2011, 01:37:25 PM »
I will be there... Boxing Day shopping is overrated.  I'd rather be wheeling  :-*

Now here's a girl with her priorities in the right order!!!!  Any chance you looking for company any time soon? :P

Just kidding ;).  Could'nt help it!!!  Set up was perfect ;D

Offline Rubi03 jef

• Talks waaay too much!
  • she never understands
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2011, 01:54:51 PM »
im going to do everything i can to have my jeep back on tires and wheels by then .  but im game for sure
04 rubicon <4'' X series RC lift, 1.25'' RC body lift, 1'' RC MML, CV rear drive shaft,  Stubby front bumper, CB,35 MTZ" ,Hi Lifter 54'',LED tail lights , flat fenders, LED front Flasher, half doors, Light force spots, and CDN M101 custom Military trailer

Offline Knox

• That CB Yapper
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2011, 08:59:43 AM »
mumble mumble... minimum size 32" ... mumble ... jk favoritism...  mumble...  ;D
2003 TJ
"Your TJ has the aerodynamics of a brick"
"if you lose the stick, chances are you'll lose the jeep......"

Offline Rubi03 jef

• Talks waaay too much!
  • she never understands
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2011, 11:32:51 AM »
mumble mumble... minimum size 32" ... mumble ... jk favoritism...  mumble...  ;D

hhaah if you quote what u wrote we can read it :)
04 rubicon <4'' X series RC lift, 1.25'' RC body lift, 1'' RC MML, CV rear drive shaft,  Stubby front bumper, CB,35 MTZ" ,Hi Lifter 54'',LED tail lights , flat fenders, LED front Flasher, half doors, Light force spots, and CDN M101 custom Military trailer

Offline w squared

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Keamy Hungry!
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2011, 11:38:27 AM »
 ;D

How about this....if you've got 31's and can give me a good reason to think that your rig will be able to handle some interesting conditions (like you have 2 lockers and own tire chains), PM me.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2011, 11:41:10 AM by w squared »
I followed a rainbow out to a garage and found a leprichaun. The rainbow ended in a potted cactus on his porch, but there was no gold :(

Offline Rubi03 jef

• Talks waaay too much!
  • she never understands
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2011, 11:42:32 AM »
    mumble mumble... minimum size 32" ... mumble ...i can air up everyones tires at the end of the day ...  mumble...  ;D

pretty sure it said this

Offline specialk

• CJA Executive
  • Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2011, 12:12:07 PM »
It's okay Knox, next time you lead a run put a MAX tire size limit on the run  ;)
04 TJ Rubi

Offline Knox

• That CB Yapper
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2011, 01:11:34 PM »
It's okay Knox, next time you lead a run put a MAX tire size limit on the run  ;)

lol, I'm sure I won't be able to get away from the family on Boxing day anyways :P Just going stir crazy at work today
2003 TJ
"Your TJ has the aerodynamics of a brick"
"if you lose the stick, chances are you'll lose the jeep......"

Offline NUXJR

• That CB Yapper
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2011, 12:54:58 PM »
;D

How about this....if you've got 31's and can give me a good reason to think that your rig will be able to handle some interesting conditions (like you have 2 lockers and own tire chains), PM me.

If all goes according to plan, the lift will be done and the new 31" Duratracs will be on in time to make this event.  I have a pair of chains but no experience using them.  Do ya REALLY think they will be necessary?  Could prolly bring them along for the ride ;).

Offline specialk

• CJA Executive
  • Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2011, 02:12:03 PM »
Bring them along.  If it is crazy icy, you may need them.  If you have them with you, you won't need em...
04 TJ Rubi

Offline Rubi03 jef

• Talks waaay too much!
  • she never understands
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2011, 03:40:41 PM »
Bring them along.  If it is crazy icy, you may need them.  If you have them with you, you won't need em...

i have a set of chains for 35's that i can bring along  and since it will be boxing day 25% off what im asking for them 100$ boxing day only sale 75$

Offline w squared

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Keamy Hungry!
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2011, 07:07:39 AM »
If all goes according to plan, the lift will be done and the new 31" Duratracs will be on in time to make this event.  I have a pair of chains but no experience using them.  Do ya REALLY think they will be necessary?  Could prolly bring them along for the ride ;).

Per the run requirements, if you don't have a rear locker or a winch, please show up having already put your tire chains on in your driveway, so that you know how to do it and you know that they fit. Depending on conditions, we will probably ask you to put them on at the trailhead (since it is part of the run requirements for people that are on tires smaller than 32" and don't have a winch or lockers)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oH3rL6tqUj0&feature=related

This guy demonstrates it well....but if you set up your bungees the way that he did, you will cause sidewall damage to your nice new Duratracs. Make sure that the ends of the hooks point out. Also make sure that have actually have the clearance for tire chains - on the top of your tire, and next to the inside sidewall. You'll need proper chains that are made out of chain (not the Honda Civic cable chains), and those will cost you some clearance around your tire - both on the top and on the inside sidewall. If you don't have enough clearance when you start the run, those chains will adjust your clearance for you.

I'm not saying this to be difficult - I'm saying it so that you're prepared. This run isn't going to be anything too over-the-top....but we'll be going through some areas that ended up causing a bunch of body damage on winter runs last year. I really don't want this open run to end up with us winching a near-stock vehicle through, and the owner of that vehicle realizing at the end of the day that he'll be shelling out a pile of money on repairing body damage.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2011, 07:13:04 AM by w squared »

Offline NUXJR

• That CB Yapper
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2011, 09:28:29 AM »
Good advice there Toddooo. ;)

If I get the work dun and make it out for this trip I'll be sure to bring the chainage along.  Since I only have 1 pair of chains is it best to put them on front, rear, driver side or passenger side? :D

Does having Trakloc in the rear count as having a locker?

If I drive all the way out there with the chains on will that not wear them out?  Think I'll just practice putting them on in the driveway so I can help you guys with your chains too. ;)

Not trying to be difficult or anything....just saying ;D