Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: Telus in Coventry?  (Read 4167 times)

Offline BUKI

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Project Fugly
Telus in Coventry?
« on: January 13, 2012, 10:02:44 PM »
Does anyone in Coventry/Country hills have Telus Internet?  Wondering if it's better than this shaw crap?  I am subscribing to broad band 100 and am getting 1.5 Mbps. Not the modem new cisco. Not the drop. Brand new. Levels are good. All techno jargon stuff good.  Been dealing with slow speeds for months.  I am at wits end. Just want confirmation on reliability before canceling

Offline BUKI

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Project Fugly
Re: Telus in Coventry?
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2012, 10:04:31 PM »
Whoops posted this in wrong section should be in chit chat. Sorry please move

Offline binare

• That CB Yapper
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2012, 10:54:54 PM »
Im lucky if i see 500kbits and I got no problems downloading upwardscof 10 or so movies a night... why you need so much man? Also... you could 1500mbits, wont make a difference if the source is slower then you are.

Offline BUKI

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Project Fugly
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2012, 09:28:42 AM »
No this is max attainable. Off of speedtest.net, speakeasy.net, shaw speedtest and telus speed test when I download 50 to 120 Kbps. And if my wife is online it times out.

Offline BUKI

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Project Fugly
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2012, 09:29:42 AM »
Ps Thanx for moving mods

Offline Grease Nipple

• Budget Lift
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2012, 10:21:04 AM »

Offline BUKI

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Project Fugly
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2012, 10:24:12 AM »
Well that settles it.
Thank you very much

Offline AstraX

• That CB Yapper
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2012, 02:37:26 PM »
Not in Coventry... but the north end.

Offline BUKI

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Project Fugly
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2012, 04:24:49 PM »
I do believe tour off a different node. Mine is in the Chinese food restutant by the BK

Offline JohnB

• Budget Lift
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2012, 05:33:04 PM »
Gee how about you get Shaw to fix the problem???  I've always found their service great.  Telus service is horrid.

Offline BUKI

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Project Fugly
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2012, 06:27:10 PM »
John b. I was shaw service for three years. I have a new rg11 drop that I laid in conduit. No splits but a 3 db pad which puts my levels very good at 6 over 49.  Technically there is nothing wrong with my service as far as anybody can do anything about. I even had a buddy in shaw maintanence tweak the trunk amp as best he could. Telus VDSL max attainable of 60 to 90 MBps Is slower than shows max but then again I'm not on my computer at 3 o'clock in the morning.

Offline binare

• That CB Yapper
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2012, 10:40:57 PM »
Then you should know that twisted pair is maxxed out and until you move to a fiber neighbourhood, youll see better bandwidth on coax, which aint anywhere near its cap. Telus survives only by spending tons and tons of money pushing fiber.... problem is that its useless tol pre fiber neighbourhoods.... end dorkiness.

Offline AstraX

• That CB Yapper
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2012, 02:58:46 AM »
John b. I was shaw service for three years. I have a new rg11 drop that I laid in conduit. No splits but a 3 db pad which puts my levels very good at 6 over 49.  Technically there is nothing wrong with my service as far as anybody can do anything about. I even had a buddy in shaw maintanence tweak the trunk amp as best he could. Telus VDSL max attainable of 60 to 90 MBps Is slower than shows max but then again I'm not on my computer at 3 o'clock in the morning.

Is it possible your node is overloaded?  When we got our cable finally connected in our house it was slow as sin.  Turned out that they hadn't split the node yet and there were 3 times as many lines running through it than there should have been.

John, are you on a 100mbps plan?  My plan is the 50mbps for reference.

Offline JohnB

• Budget Lift
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2012, 08:17:24 AM »

What?  You said you were getting 1.5 M with a 100 M service.  There is something seriously wrong and they will fix it.  If my service is ever running below 90% of what I pay for they get over and fix it.

Offline BUKI

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Project Fugly
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2012, 05:37:01 PM »
Then you should know that twisted pair is maxxed out and until you move to a fiber neighbourhood, youll see better bandwidth on coax, which aint anywhere near its cap. Telus survives only by spending tons and tons of money pushing fiber.... problem is that its useless tol pre fiber neighbourhoods.... end dorkiness.

That is seriously the dumbest thing I've ever heard. If twisted pair was maxed out then cat6 (4 twisted pair) would not run gigabit. And coax runs RF.  And furthermore as a Telus tech I'll tell you their is fiber to every CO in this city and to most  xconns/jwi/sacs.  It's all about attenuation the further you are from the DSLAM the slower you get. Here's the thing if you qualify for 80 you get 80 all the time.  Not at 3 Inn the morn.  Thi is not an argument on who knows more on telecom. It I simply a thing of I prefered shaw. But they do need to split the NODE again it Is overcrowded by to many people in the neighborhood who have shaw services and are using them at peak times. I only wanted to know about what current Telus customers in my area thought about their service as of today. NOT what they thought about them 5 years ago.
Who knows I may go back to shaw after the node split finally happens