Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: A member of the secret society  (Read 6049 times)

Offline WK2008

• UberWheeler
A member of the secret society
« on: January 14, 2012, 11:04:10 AM »
So i have been looking back over the past two years that I've been wheeling with this club. I have met some great friends, learned some new techniques that have helped me out and most of this was from non executive members. I have wheeled with one particular executive a number of times and have gotten to know him quite well. He is always willing to lead an open run, teach the new guys how to wheel responsibly and have fun in the process. I still have an issue. Where are the rest of the "executive team"?

I am not trying to poke at anyone specific at all, but why is it that there are never any runs where I have met more than a few guys over the past few years. I have been out on about 80% of the runs that are posted but have only ever met any senior members or executives at the show and shine or Peters. The meetings are great, but speaking as a current non-memeber (my decision not to apply) I have spent lots of time on trail runs and trail projects with lots of guys but rarely ever see any executives out wheeling. Is this because none of these guys actually have time to wheel or is there just lots of "privately organized" runs that we are not invited to.

I'm just struggling with this and would like to see if anyone else feels the same or is it just me.

John

Offline AV.NINE

• Talks waaay too much!
Re: A member of the secret society
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2012, 11:16:52 AM »
There are sections of the forum including trail rides and such that us regulars don't have access too. There's probably a lot more going on than you'd think.

Perhaps the exec's prefer to ride without the rift raft? (no offense intended)

Offline fug

• CJA Executive
  • Talks waaay too much!
  • Airdrie Pick n Pull
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2012, 11:30:17 AM »
So i have been looking back over the past two years that I've been wheeling with this club. I have met some great friends, learned some new techniques that have helped me out and most of this was from non executive members. I have wheeled with one particular executive a number of times and have gotten to know him quite well. He is always willing to lead an open run, teach the new guys how to wheel responsibly and have fun in the process. I still have an issue. Where are the rest of the "executive team"?

I am not trying to poke at anyone specific at all, but why is it that there are never any runs where I have met more than a few guys over the past few years. I have been out on about 80% of the runs that are posted but have only ever met any senior members or executives at the show and shine or Peters. The meetings are great, but speaking as a current non-memeber (my decision not to apply) I have spent lots of time on trail runs and trail projects with lots of guys but rarely ever see any executives out wheeling. Is this because none of these guys actually have time to wheel or is there just lots of "privately organized" runs that we are not invited to.

I'm just struggling with this and would like to see if anyone else feels the same or is it just me.

John

So you're wondering why... you haven't met members of a club you have made the conscious decision to NOT join.  You're going on open and ad hoc runs and, with the exeception of the Show and Shine, things that are not club events?  

Between my job and my kids and trying to have a social life... I have barely enough time to make the official events.  I deem those events to be more important than others because I am an executive and I should put in my efforts where I feel it matters most.

As for the "secret society" aspect of things... damn rights there is.  Full blown members have access to the members forums where many of the club runs are discussed and planned.  Is that what you have an issue with?  If you could have this club be any way you like... what would you change? I'm not really understanding what your struggle is?  
Fug
TJ Rubicon

Offline morerpmfred

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2012, 12:03:57 PM »
Yes I am a reguler club member and for me the priorities are work , family life , social life and some where on the bucket list is fourwheeling. There are a lot of runs this club does , some are open , some are for club members and some are amongst good friends and not even on the forum. As for trail runs in places other then maclean or waiporous they are never on the open forums and sometimes on the members forum as most members do not want to share their faverite trails do to recent excessive trail closures. Become a member and be get to know some of us and the excutive.

Offline Waytec

• Talks waaay too much!
  • not all there
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2012, 12:07:38 PM »
I would not call myself a senior member by any means but I have been with he club for 5 years, and keep my membership and wheeling with the club after moving to Red Deer. I will admit over the last year I was not out at all. I parked my rig to focus on work and saving for a house. Now I plan on coming out more and will be leading at least one members run.

I did not meet many of the members other then at meetings until I became a member, Membership has lots of perks, more runs, we have 4 open runs and 10 or more members runs, As members we go wheel in areas that are not talked about other than in the members section.  And Yes we have formed groups of friends that like to wheel together and plan crazy adventures as friends.

If you don't want to become a member sorry but you go to the back of the bus.
Why does your Jeep say Toyota on it?
The obstacle is the path.

Offline WK2008

• UberWheeler
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2012, 12:14:12 PM »
So you're wondering why... you haven't met members of a club you have made the conscious decision to NOT join.  You're going on open and ad hoc runs and, with the exeception of the Show and Shine, things that are not club events? 

Between my job and my kids and trying to have a social life... I have barely enough time to make the official events.  I deem those events to be more important than others because I am an executive and I should put in my efforts where I feel it matters most.

As for the "secret society" aspect of things... damn rights there is.  Full blown members have access to the members forums where many of the club runs are discussed and planned.  Is that what you have an issue with?  If you could have this club be any way you like... what would you change? I'm not really understanding what your struggle is? 

I can tell you with certainty that I am not the only one that feels this way. I have spoke to many members, who I'm not going to call out, that also feel that there are many private runs that they don't even know about. I certainly dont have an issue with anyone not having time to do things outside of family time. Trust me I get that. This years 101 is a perfect example, there was only one member of the executive team present and we all know how that day ended. Where was the rest of the executive team that day? Who ran the trails the weekend before? Nobody that's who. Maybe I'm the only one to finally call this out but that was a complete mess that day. We don't need to get into specifics on a public forum but I think I have made my point.

Anyways, it would just be nice to actually see some guys from the executive team come out and run some trails with the rest of us.

Cheers

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=50.968539,-114.072937

Offline Waytec

• Talks waaay too much!
  • not all there
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2012, 12:18:22 PM »
What do you have for a rig, including modifications bolted on and welded on
( I am going somewhere with this)

Offline WK2008

• UberWheeler
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2012, 12:23:28 PM »
I have two rigs. A 2008 WK with an auburn LSD and an OME lift, 32s and a few others. I also have a Durango with the same LSD, 3" lift, winch bumper and 32s

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=50.961376,-114.116837

Offline Vinman

• CJA Executive
  • Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2012, 12:54:07 PM »
And it starts...

Every year at this time the bashing of the club starts.

/l ,[____],
 l---L -OlllllllO-
 ()_)-()_)-o-)_)

Quote from: Bnine link=topic=25904.msg162940#msg162940      date=1341881306

Resident prick is my job and it took me ten years to earn that title

Offline WK2008

• UberWheeler
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2012, 01:05:34 PM »
And it starts...

Every year at this time the bashing of the club starts.

This is not about bashing the club at all. I am simply giving some constructive criticism that is being taken in the wrong manner. I at least got the answers I was looking for. There are many more private runs that even members don't know about. How dare I question the way the club operates. You want to keep the trails for the old boys except when you need something fixed on a trail project. Leave it to a select few to show us rif raft the trails and don't offer to teach new guys anything.

The title was meant as a joke but I think I am realizing that it holds some serious clout. Time to take a page out of the CT4WD book and get involved with the new guys boys.

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=50.949202,-114.069513

Offline dunl

• Talks waaay too much!
    • Red Deer Jeep Packrats
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2012, 01:18:00 PM »
Speaking as the President of RDJP, your title is not correct.  The only secret membership is the one that you chose not to apply for.  Even in our club, we have some members that choose to go on runs and not tell the rest of the club about, as they are just going out with some of their friends.  Membership does not come at a loss of privacy.  You're kind of acting like the jilted housewife when the hubby goes out with the boys.

As for bringing the 101 into this, that in my mind is a totally separate topic.  You need to decide what you want answered here.  If it is the question about a "secrety society", no - there isn't.  As one of the longer NON-members of CJA (can you guys get me a special title for that or something?  :D), I can tell you that is 100% correct.

If you want to ask questions about the involvement of the executive, join the club.  Ask away, and even volunteer yourself....they'd probably be happy to have you.  Most clubs need the help.  

However, if you want to ask questions from the outside,  don't expect much of an answer.  The executive answers to the club members.....not the general public.  :)
« Last Edit: January 14, 2012, 01:24:55 PM by dunl »
`48 CJ2A, `54 CJ3B, `97 TJ, and 03 WJ...batting close to .500 when it comes to jeep models owned vs. jeep models created.....
Red Deer Jeep Packrats
www.reddeerjeep.com

Offline Waytec

• Talks waaay too much!
  • not all there
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2012, 01:26:48 PM »
us rif raft the trails and don't offer to teach new guys anything.

The title was meant as a joke but I think I am realizing that it holds some serious clout. Time to take a page out of the CT4WD book and get involved with the new guys boys.

now you are a arse. we are a club that without even knowing who you are and what you have. will take you and your whatever POS rig out on a open run and drag and kick your arse all the way through it.
Now F@#k off and go join a club that makes you take 3 class room courses and do runs that you have to pay their set rates for before they will even let you out on their runs. OH ya you don't have a Toyota. 
Oh by the way they also have secret runs as well. open you pocket book because unless you buy bolt on they think it is not safe and no good.
Good day sir and don't show your face or soccer mom rigs at my run.

Offline JackstandJohnny

• Talks waaay too much!
  • where Jeeps go to die
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2012, 01:29:35 PM »
membership has its perks :)
~ rescue green JKUR on 35s.  typical rubicon build

Offline Waytec

• Talks waaay too much!
  • not all there
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2012, 01:33:03 PM »
For the rest of the new non and member

The 101 is in the past and the club did a lot a learning from that weekend. I know it is not a easy event to plan and run. I ran the first 3years of it.

What I am assuming other members are hearing is the storeys of other runs and crazy adventures. There is lots of members runs giving the members the opportunity to wheel in those areas. That is where we learn who you are and what you can do and your ability to learn and adapt to the situation.

I am planning a run to a certain place that will remain unnamed due to this is not the members section. (perk) This will be open to all members as long as they meet the requirements.
copied from the members section.
Requirements will be- winch, 33s at least, normal full recovery kit. If you think pulling winch cabal as a failure stay home, if you don't want to scratch or dent your rig stay home.
Suggested equipment - AMA

You do not meet the tier size for this run right off the hop. Also it is not a day trip.

I am also planning a run that will not have anything to do with the club. I have friends with Toyotas and Suzuki's that will be invited as well. there are members of the club I don't like and that do not like me ether. So I will not invite them and they will not invite me to their runs. welcome to life.

Also for the other members get out and lead get lost(ask about the first 101 "road trip") and have fun.

Offline Waytec

• Talks waaay too much!
  • not all there
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2012, 01:35:49 PM »
i put forward a movement for this topic/therad be nuked