Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: Carbureted 360 in 03 tj  (Read 9432 times)

Offline NoBiggies

• Winch Wench
Carbureted 360 in 03 tj
« on: January 24, 2012, 09:06:03 PM »
Carbureted 360 in a tj.
Anyone in here done it?
Any tips what's everything in going to need?
I've got the engine just need to buy t case and transmission. Driveshafts and maybe some differentials.
Slow going to collect all the goodies over the next six months I say.
Maybe a loner vehicle if I can find one for a good price.

Offline JENSSEN

• Talks waaay too much!
    • Racing For The Cure
Re: Carbureted 360 in 03 tj
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2012, 09:31:54 PM »
I would look at companies like advanced adapters and maybe look at their swap kits.  I foresee a wiring nightmare going from an injected computer controlled truck to a carb, not to mention the advantages of injection vs carbs offroad.

Couple of question ,.. What are your end goals? Why the swap? Are you planning on axle upgrades? Original motor let the smoke out?
www.racingforthecure.ca

Definition of Link to this definition of Blasphemy
1. [n] blasphemous behavior; the act of depriving something of its sacred character;

Offline NoBiggies

• Winch Wench
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2012, 10:02:42 PM »
My goals is still in the air almost like every other jeep enthusiast out there. I am just looking at option. And seeing what's out there.
I have always been a fan of carbureted engines. My transmission is going. I can feel it. So I was looking at maybe a aw4 transmission and a buddy and I were talking about engine swaps and what not. He said he has a good 360 tore a part waiting to be brought back a live. With some upgrades here and there. But thanks for the advice.

Offline cuzican

• That CB Yapper
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2012, 10:04:34 PM »
Interested in this as well - have a 401 sitting in the corner and keep thinking it could end up in one of my TJ's. Especially if my better half follows through and convinces me to put the stroker in her jeep.

I don't think wiring would be an issue - shouldn't need a lot of wires for a carb setup - maybe 4 or 5.

For carb I've been thinking about a Holley truck avenger.

I'm thinking the challenging part would be exhaust - not sure if anyone makes conversion headers for AMC V8 in TJ - but then I haven't started looking yet - worst case they'd be old school fenderwell.

I've collected a few tranny and Tcase options including NV4500 w/D300 and SM465 w/241 - also some AMC bellhousings to be machined to adapt the trannys.

Driveshafts - that's a given and they can be a requirement with most axle swaps anyhow.

My reasons are: 1. cuz I have it sitting around, 2. cuz it would be different, 3. cuz I like a challenge, 4. cuz I don't know when to stop, 5. cuz cuz just becuz
Southern Alberta Coulee Kruzer (new name same great wheelers)
97 TJ with improvements,  05 TJ Unlimited, 06 TJ Rubicon

Offline TL-Iguana

• Talks waaay too much!
  • XJ - The Official TJ Rescue Vehicle
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2012, 10:13:52 PM »
Ooo Had a muncie 465 in my old Chevy and that thing was bomb proof. something like 6.5:1 in low as well! That thing would crawl over just about anything :D Pity it was only 2 wheel drive and was scrapped for a th350 when my clutch went.. Im sure tho if that transmission was still around, it would still be goin today.
I did a Google search for "hot trannies" but nothing came up about oil coolers  :o

Worrying too much about mpg with a Jeep is similar to worrying about your sister's virginity. An ok thing to be concerned about but...

'01 XJ on 35s, '11 Jk DD

Offline NoBiggies

• Winch Wench
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2012, 10:21:08 PM »
Interested in this as well - have a 401 sitting in the corner and keep thinking it could end up in one of my TJ's. Especially if my better half follows through and convinces me to put the stroker in her jeep.

I don't think wiring would be an issue - shouldn't need a lot of wires for a carb setup - maybe 4 or 5.

For carb I've been thinking about a Holley truck avenger.

I'm thinking the challenging part would be exhaust - not sure if anyone makes conversion headers for AMC V8 in TJ - but then I haven't started looking yet - worst case they'd be old school fenderwell.

I've collected a few tranny and Tcase options including NV4500 w/D300 and SM465 w/241 - also some AMC bellhousings to be machined to adapt the trannys.

Driveshafts - that's a given and they can be a requirement with most axle swaps anyhow.

My reasons are: 1. cuz I have it sitting around, 2. cuz it would be different, 3. cuz I like a challenge, 4. cuz I don't know when to stop, 5. cuz cuz just becuz

Honestly you couldn't have said it any better.
I don't know %100 of my reason other then I loved this old dodge my mom had when I was young.
That thing was a tank.
My buddy has this engine lying there. Ready to be assembled. And when all said and done about 350 ponys.
I'm going to do some more digging and hear what others have to say.

Offline JENSSEN

• Talks waaay too much!
    • Racing For The Cure
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2012, 10:26:08 PM »
What about a stand alone efi? The wiring concerns were more to do with the chassis, just tossing thoughts out. 
www.racingforthecure.ca

1. [n] blasphemous behavior; the act of depriving something of its sacred character;

Offline NoBiggies

• Winch Wench
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2012, 10:38:54 PM »
Honestly I'm not going out every weekend wheeling and wen I do it is not that hardcore.
I don't do such steep hits the jeep is pointing up. And yeah eventually I would love to do a efi fuel injection kit.
But it is a good call and thanks for the tip. I'll keep everyone posted and maybe a build thread when I truly decided what I want to do with the jeep and when I do it.

Offline cuzican

• That CB Yapper
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2012, 10:43:26 PM »
I have heard that a chev FI system can be adapted to an AMC V8.

My thought would be one step at a time. Get it in and running the easy way with a carb and then if there are issues consider upgrading to FI. My biggest issue with FI is I'd have to learn more to make it work and my brain is already pretty full or I'd have to pay someone else to set it up and that just goes against my grain.

The other option to keep in the back of your mind is propane - dual fuel system and you have the best of both worlds.
Southern Alberta Coulee Kruzer (new name same great wheelers)
97 TJ with improvements,  05 TJ Unlimited, 06 TJ Rubicon

Offline JENSSEN

• Talks waaay too much!
    • Racing For The Cure
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2012, 11:01:27 PM »

My thought would be one step at a time. Get it in and running the easy way with a carb and then if there are issues consider upgrading to FI. My biggest issue with FI is I'd have to learn more to make it work and my brain is already pretty full or I'd have to pay someone else to set it up and that just goes against my grain.

The other option to keep in the back of your mind is propane - dual fuel system and you have the best of both worlds.

In the past I help set up a GM 7747 ECM and GM throttle body , but that was old chip and memcal systems. There used to be a site DIY-efi.org that walked you through all the steps and systems. Also look at the old dodge turbo ecm mods or mega squirt DIY systems
www.racingforthecure.ca

Offline IgniteTJ

• Budget Lift
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2012, 12:02:37 AM »

I've talked to my dad about the propane systems cause he's installed more then he can count and has had more then a few.. Nowadays the kits are too expensive to make it worthwhile and in something like a jeep you wouldn't be able to run much of a tank for it - thats going off what he said because I know you can only fill propane to about 80% capacity and in pickups you normally need to run a fairly decent tank to make it worthwhile

Edit; and you have to be careful where you park with a propane vehicle as well
1998 Dodge Ram Reg Cab Short Box, lift and 35's going on it over the winter along with 4:10's

Offline binare

• That CB Yapper
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2012, 07:07:24 AM »
why you gotta watch parking with propane? I know about parkades and propane heavier then air. Just curious about the rest.

Offline jkrubi

• Budget Lift
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2012, 10:34:02 AM »
Carbureted 360 in a tj.
Anyone in here done it?
Any tips what's everything in going to need?
I've got the engine just need to buy t case and transmission. Driveshafts and maybe some differentials.
Slow going to collect all the goodies over the next six months I say.
Maybe a loner vehicle if I can find one for a good price.

Just look for a written off grand with a v8 in it,  and take the tranny and tcase. As well as the eng.   If it hasn't changed all small blocks use the same bolt pattern for the tranny, and all BB are the same. ( at least that's the way it is with my muscle car). Plus the when your looking for parts it is a bit easier to find, if you have to talk to the counter folks at auto parts stores.

Offline IgniteTJ

• Budget Lift
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2012, 11:41:10 AM »
why you gotta watch parking with propane? I know about parkades and propane heavier then air. Just curious about the rest.

In parkades you do because it is heavier then air and also the exhaust fans built into them doesn't detect propane like it will detect gas and diesel exhaust if you ever have your vehicle on a ferry too on propane and they find out they can lay charges if there's an issue (my dad was telling me a story on that one)
1998 Dodge Ram Reg Cab Short Box, lift and 35's going on it over the winter along with 4:10's

Offline NoBiggies

• Winch Wench
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2012, 11:47:02 AM »
I've thought about it but I'm not to hardcore wheeler yet. SO I'm thinking I'm going to do it. It'll work out.