Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: Anybody done DIY on-board air system  (Read 9386 times)

Offline LukeDuke

• Budget Lift
Re: Anybody done DIY on-board air system
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2012, 08:02:39 PM »
Did my A/C conversion for less then $100. . Needing steel braided lines and special fittings is bs.  normal air hose with push on barbs will do just fine. Princess auto sells pressure switchs for like $30. only other thing u need is a releif valve and a tank. Get creative with your tank, I used a nitrous bottle i found at a swap meet. 10 lbs propane bottle would be cool too, then it could double as a portable tank. I'm just cheap though, and cheap makes you creative.  

I can air up a 38 for 2 to 18 in less then 90 seconds. I have 120 psi for air tools or any thing i want.  ARB cant do that.
1967 C101 - in 1,000,000 pieces
1973 C104 - in 2,000,000 pieces

RDJP President
http://www.reddeerjeep.com/

Offline Waytec

• Talks waaay too much!
  • not all there
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2012, 10:11:41 PM »
now I remember why I don't come in these sections an any site. someone always dose it bigger and better or cheaper or outright thinks what one person says it garbage.

That is how I did mine and I have built a couple more for other people and all are still working with no issues ever and no one complaned. 

I built mine over 2 years ago and all I have done is burn out one compressor and that was I own fault for not cheeking the oilier before I left for the trail. That s why I switched to grease .

Luke you did yours for under a hundred I have over a hundred in my tank alone. $50 each pulse tax right form viare. pulse a liquid filled gage,one way check valve, 175 safety valve and so on, it did not take long to add up.  

buddy build it that way that you are comfortable with it and happy the way it works.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2012, 10:23:26 PM by Waytec »
Why does your Jeep say Toyota on it?
The obstacle is the path.

Offline LukeDuke

• Budget Lift
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2012, 10:32:04 PM »
Arron I never said mine was better than you or that yours didn't work. I mearly stated that there are ways to do thing cheap and still make them work properly. Don't think for a second that safty or function takes a back seat to cost. Cost of my install still includes a check vavle, guage, blow off vavle and all the fixins.

All I'm gettin at is if you do some looking around and use your mind instead of you wallet, you can still have money left over for something to drink while u put it all together

RDJP President

Offline Waytec

• Talks waaay too much!
  • not all there
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2012, 10:52:35 PM »
My issue is from you saying you need steal braded line and special fittings is BS. that is the way I did mine and I was telling buddy if he goes that rout it is going to cost. I run my supply line under the rig exposed to everything. that is why I went with the still braded so it would take the punishment. I have it the way I like it.

I did use my head, and the way I set things up in my rig coast a little cash the tanks are the only ones I couple find at the time that mounted the way I wanted. I personally don't have as much in mine as I say to budget for because I acquired  stuff along the way over about 8 months. I build the same system I have for a guy last winter and had over $250 into the parts but that was getting everything over a couple days instead of months.

I also gave a suggestion that would have him under $100 if he watches PA and CT sale flyer.

Dirt Addiction do it the way that makes you happy.

Offline Full Metal Jeep

• Winch Wench
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2012, 12:02:45 AM »
« Last Edit: January 27, 2012, 12:20:28 AM by Full Metal Jeep »
"There's "to each his own" which I know all you hippies are so fond of around here, and then theres just plain stupid." ~ Bnine

Offline FiEND

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Wrecking Ball
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2012, 12:35:00 AM »
did mine with a hydraulic hose custom made from princess auto because regular lines would explode from heat.  prob cost $150 total with new longer fanbelt and pump from the wreckers.  i use it to run my arb's also and have a little 2 or 3 litre tank attached.

saving a few bucks here and there didn't work as well as I thought.  i am using an oiler but might research the grease nipple idea.
1Wide2High
ILV2FRT
'97 TJ [sold]
'17 JK Rubicon

Offline Waytec

• Talks waaay too much!
  • not all there
« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2012, 07:00:41 AM »
AL, are you using a over sized  hose as a tank?

Offline TL-Iguana

• Talks waaay too much!
  • XJ - The Official TJ Rescue Vehicle
« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2012, 09:51:51 AM »
I have an air tank...I may con you into coming over to help me set something up one of these days.  :)

No Problem at all Dan! I would be happy to help plumb.
I did a Google search for "hot trannies" but nothing came up about oil coolers  :o

Worrying too much about mpg with a Jeep is similar to worrying about your sister's virginity. An ok thing to be concerned about but...

'01 XJ on 35s, '11 Jk DD

Offline Bnine

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Sticky Fingers
« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2012, 11:36:57 AM »
Call Stan at northridge for a power tank and be done with it.
My Mechanic Calgary
Mobile Auto Care
403-483-1083
[email protected]

Offline FiEND

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Wrecking Ball
« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2012, 12:36:30 PM »
AL, are you using a over sized  hose as a tank?

just 3/8 line and fittings.  i also drilled out the air hole in the back of the compressor.  i use an arb 90psi cutoff switch i got on ebay to shut the compressor off when not in use, this keeps everything running a lot cooler as the system doesn't run unless i am pumping air into something.
1Wide2High
ILV2FRT
'97 TJ [sold]
'17 JK Rubicon

Offline Immortal

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2012, 05:00:52 PM »
The Sanden 7 series which I have puts out about 9 when converted.

You're talking CFM, I hope.
It's a A/C compressor..... I have seen those ones put out well over 275psi.
if we were smart with our money we wouldn't own Jeeps.
Here's your cup of STFU... ENJOY!

Offline TL-Iguana

• Talks waaay too much!
  • XJ - The Official TJ Rescue Vehicle
« Reply #26 on: January 27, 2012, 05:18:05 PM »
You're talking CFM, I hope.
It's a A/C compressor..... I have seen those ones put out well over 275psi.

Yes, sorry Trevor. 9cfm :)

Take just over a minute to fill 5 gallons to 120psi.
I did a Google search for "hot trannies" but nothing came up about oil coolers  :o

Worrying too much about mpg with a Jeep is similar to worrying about your sister's virginity. An ok thing to be concerned about but...

'01 XJ on 35s, '11 Jk DD

Offline dunl

• Talks waaay too much!
    • Red Deer Jeep Packrats
« Reply #27 on: February 05, 2012, 11:46:05 AM »
Has anyone used any other type of compressor besides a York or a Sanden compressor?  I have one sitting in my garage from an old pink Mark Kay Cadillac (another story), and I'm sure it's not either of those two.
`48 CJ2A, `54 CJ3B, `97 TJ, and 03 WJ...batting close to .500 when it comes to jeep models owned vs. jeep models created.....
Red Deer Jeep Packrats
www.reddeerjeep.com

Offline Fredduck

• That CB Yapper
  • RIDE ON
« Reply #28 on: February 05, 2012, 07:01:57 PM »
Has anyone used any other type of compressor besides a York or a Sanden compressor?  I have one sitting in my garage from an old pink Mark Kay Cadillac (another story), and I'm sure it's not either of those two.
Well I really want to hear that story  ;D
What year caddy?
3.9 CTD - 7000R4  NP241c SSYE, Dana 44.  9 inch, 4.10's  and 37's

Offline LukeDuke

• Budget Lift
« Reply #29 on: February 05, 2012, 08:48:16 PM »
Theoretically any a/c compressor can be converted to pump air. Just a matter of lubing it while its running. What is the brand you got Darcy.

RDJP President