Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: open trail rides?  (Read 8288 times)

Offline bradley

• Budget Lift
Re: open trail rides?
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2012, 07:21:07 PM »
i usually never hesitate to go wheeling with someone new, thats where the best experiences come from, sometimes u look back on the day and shake your head and sometimes u got a memory thats worth holding onto, but its usually just a really good time, thats why i signed up here at cja for the opportunity to meet new people and do some wheeling. Sure sounds like everyone signed up here has the right idea hope to see u all out on the trail sometime soon
2002 jeep tj, 7 inch lift with long arm front and triangulated 4 link rear, 37x12.5x15 maxxis creepy crawler tires, custom front and rear bumpers, 12000 winch, G2 dana 44 front with detroit locker, 44 rear with spool, custom rear skins and flares, sye kit

Offline jeepjones

• Budget Lift
« Reply #16 on: February 29, 2012, 12:02:36 PM »
I don't mind leaving mclean creek/Waiparous at 3am  I like wheeling at night. Getting stuck, broken,lost, is all part of the fun in my mind. I figure it's like riding a motorcycle or skydiving, if it wasn't a little bit dangerous we wouldn't do it. If you want to take a scenic, safe ride in the mountains or country side stick to the highway, if you want some excitement and don't mind staring death in the face a few times a year then go wheeling.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2012, 12:19:49 PM by jeepjones »

Offline Hi Lo Silver

• That CB Yapper
    • http://www.fourwheelstampeders.ca
« Reply #17 on: February 29, 2012, 08:14:45 PM »
Just about enough drama in there to justify a reality show on four wheeling.  ;D

Offline w squared

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Keamy Hungry!
« Reply #18 on: February 29, 2012, 09:01:16 PM »
Just about enough drama in there to justify a reality show on four wheeling.  ;D

Are you willing to host, Gun? You can tell people that they've been "voted off the trail ride" and then smash out the headlight that represents their presence with a snatch block.
I followed a rainbow out to a garage and found a leprichaun. The rainbow ended in a potted cactus on his porch, but there was no gold :(

Offline Rubi03 jef

• Talks waaay too much!
  • she never understands
« Reply #19 on: February 29, 2012, 10:21:07 PM »
ive pulled people and full size trucks out with my little 1 inch trailer hitch  and never had anythign break . ive winch at least 40 trucks out and never put anything over my cable

ive wheeled for 3 years with no spare tire ive gone with complete stranger that have either lead me into some crap trails and some really cool stuff

if everyone is worried about something bad happening then you shouldnt ever leave your house again . what we do in the trails is still safer then walking down any calgary street with the F&$k tards that live here
how people get licenses these days is beyound me

as for wheeling with new people im always willing to roll out with them and also im always willing to invite that person that decided to go out alone that weekend ..  so you cant tell this guy never go with people he doesnt know   cuz guess what those people could be you CJA guys

my point is just get out there and have fun    and if u dont like the group your with roll out
« Last Edit: February 29, 2012, 10:30:10 PM by Rubi03 jef »
04 rubicon <4'' X series RC lift, 1.25'' RC body lift, 1'' RC MML, CV rear drive shaft,  Stubby front bumper, CB,35 MTZ" ,Hi Lifter 54'',LED tail lights , flat fenders, LED front Flasher, half doors, Light force spots, and CDN M101 custom Military trailer

Offline Spinalguy

• Talks waaay too much!
    • http://www.spinalguy.com
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2012, 11:09:51 AM »
i have never put restrictions on people i wheel with, but restrictions on rigs i wheel with is a different story.
sent from my old school rotary dial phone.

Offline Rubi03 jef

• Talks waaay too much!
  • she never understands
« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2012, 11:24:11 AM »
There are bi passes for everything in Alberta. So I would put money on a civic making it down any trail
Sticking to bi passes

So if someone with a xj on 28" tires wants to come out no problem know that you will not be able to fallow my line

Education is key. Of the owner wants to try who am I to stop it's a free world
No tow points well hook to the diff    Not my problem if ur diff is pulled from ur truck
No spare. Well have fun driving out on ur rim
No food well maybe the person is anerexic

I bring what I want and need I do recommend to others but I don't loose sleep if someone breaks there rig
Fix what I can with what they have and done.. can't fix it then drag it to the road

Cja does how many truck/ car removals a year u know how fun it is to drag a burnt price of crap to the road
Imagine how fun it is to drag someone daily driver to the road
And with any luck they will regret there choice to go in unprepared and will never be seen in the trails again

In the end I know what I bring, and what I wheel and I know my jeep is coming out and home

04 rubicon <4'' X series RC lift, 1.25'' RC body lift, 1'' RC MML, CV rear drive shaft,  Stubby front bumper, CB,35 MTZ" ,Hi Lifter 54'',LED tail lights , flat fenders, LED front Flasher, half doors, Light force spots, and CDN M101 custom Military trailer

Offline Spinalguy

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2012, 11:45:05 AM »
There are bi passes for everything in Alberta. So I would put money on a civic making it down any trail
Sticking to bi passes

So if someone with a xj on 28" tires wants to come out no problem know that you will not be able to fallow my line

Education is key. Of the owner wants to try who am I to stop it's a free world
No tow points well hook to the diff    Not my problem if ur diff is pulled from ur truck
No spare. Well have fun driving out on ur rim
No food well maybe the person is anerexic

I bring what I want and need I do recommend to others but I don't loose sleep if someone breaks there rig
Fix what I can with what they have and done.. can't fix it then drag it to the road

Cja does how many truck/ car removals a year u know how fun it is to drag a burnt price of crap to the road
Imagine how fun it is to drag someone daily driver to the road
And with any luck they will regret there choice to go in unprepared and will never be seen in the trails again

In the end I know what I bring, and what I wheel and I know my jeep is coming out and home

Jeff, i guarantee you that you have missed out on some truly epic trails in Alberta. There were no bypasses on my Stupid Steep Sunday run i did a few years back and that was at Maclean. Killer cutline will separate the men from boys. Pretty Rock the hard way in will disallow any stock 4x4. i can think of many cutlines i have led that are not going to allow any rig that is not locked succeed. Never mind the pucker factor on 'doable' lines.
At Waiporous at the first staging area (the one with atv ramps) is a cutline. Do not take the bypass and go all the way up. Not many will even try it. At night. its even better. Just an example of the truly insane stuff out there.

i have one rule i never bend on...air down. If 'group friendly setting', 15psi min. If invite only, 10psi min.

no towhooks front and rear? see ya.
You ever been with someone stuck in a mud/water hole 1/2 way up the doors and had them attatch a strap to their axle? How did that work out for ya?

not boasting but wheelin for me was the tuffer, the better. Knowing that 'not making' a cutline could result in catastrophe was my adrenalin junkie drug. On those runs, it was invite only.

FWS took us to some incredible trails South of here. They only had a towhook rule. Airing down was seldom done. Stock rigs of any type were welcome. i commend them for that and feel blessed to be a part of the hidden tours they led. But, no surprise my pet peeve was bald tires and fully aired vehicles. LONG days would have been much shorter but, i will always be grateful to the trails they introduced me to and the great folks i met, camped and wheeled with.  :)

They still wheel, i do not :-[ (rarely i have). Even though i have a very capable jeep, i no longer have the 'beans' to try hardcore trails. Racing a dirtbike in the mountains softened me.

Moab is a whole different story. ;)
« Last Edit: March 01, 2012, 06:34:29 PM by Spinalguy »

Offline morerpmfred

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2012, 12:48:03 PM »
I have been up pretty rock in a stock xj on a boxing day run. 28 inch all terrains and a factory limeted slip. Drove up the steep side. Oh and the xj was red. Driver expierance is everything. The tire chains helped.

Offline Rubi03 jef

• Talks waaay too much!
  • she never understands
« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2012, 01:04:21 PM »
What was sAying was I can't stop anyone from trying anything

I can't tell them it's a bad idea.  But it's there choice if they breAk roll or die not my problem

As for people stuck in mud ya pulled a grand Cherokee that was half way up the door in mud n told the onder u want of out I'll get u out but u will have damage  he said no problem  I put the tow rope through the back windows and attached my winch and pulled  both rear doors bent in.    Again not my problem. I gave him the warning he said give.   He was out

As for trails and being difficult I agree so people need to e told not to try something

I've yet to hit some of the trails u have mentions or maybe I have and just don't know the names
I've had people get out of my rig cuz they don't feel comfortable and I just climb it with easy
I was told no one climbs widow maker  and yes 2 summers ago I did

So even I don't listen sometimes

Offline Spinalguy

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #25 on: March 01, 2012, 01:39:47 PM »
I have been up pretty rock in a stock xj on a boxing day run. 28 inch all terrains and a factory limeted slip. Drove up the steep side. Oh and the xj was red. Driver expierance is everything. The tire chains helped.
yes, driver experience is everything. Chains also helped, obviously. Body damage is ensured with stock vehicles.
But, there are many other trails that a stocker is not doing. Just like Moab, there are trails that size matters.
So, maybe Pretty Rock is not the best example.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2012, 01:45:03 PM by Spinalguy »

Offline Spinalguy

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #26 on: March 01, 2012, 01:43:26 PM »
What was sAying was I can't stop anyone from trying anything

I can't tell them it's a bad idea.  But it's there choice if they breAk roll or die not my problem

As for people stuck in mud ya pulled a grand Cherokee that was half way up the door in mud n told the onder u want of out I'll get u out but u will have damage  he said no problem  I put the tow rope through the back windows and attached my winch and pulled  both rear doors bent in.    Again not my problem. I gave him the warning he said give.   He was out

As for trails and being difficult I agree so people need to e told not to try something

I've yet to hit some of the trails u have mentions or maybe I have and just don't know the names
I've had people get out of my rig cuz they don't feel comfortable and I just climb it with easy
I was told no one climbs widow maker  and yes 2 summers ago I did

So even I don't listen sometimes
:laughing: i guess you got a point there.
For me, its about the experience. The more we stop to drag a stocker, pull a stocker, waste time hooking up a no tow hook vehicle, waste time to pull a ballon tired vehicle diminishes the experience. i prefer a 5 hour tour with well prepared rigs vs a 12 hour tour with lesser prepared. But, as i said i don't care who the person is. If they don't tread lightly, i will confront.

Offline Hi Lo Silver

• That CB Yapper
    • http://www.fourwheelstampeders.ca
« Reply #27 on: March 01, 2012, 07:12:47 PM »
I have to dispute the airing down comment on our (FWS) runs Spinalguy. Each run we have ever done there has always been people air down. Grant it not everyone,  but we just don't care if you don't want to.  Sometimes people learn by example and not by rules. On easier trails....do you realize how often those with less modified rigs and air in thier tires could just blast right through a trail but they choose to sit and wait for those that wish to challenge obstacles along the way without saying all that much about time wasted. Remember that goes both ways sometimes.

The tougher trails were also stipulated for more equipment.

I have to agree to a point with jeepjones....just go out and wheel but I do have to say personally I'd rather wheel with people I know and I certainly will pull away from a group that's drinking or drugs. Sometimes wheeling alone isn't all that bad in that case.

« Last Edit: March 01, 2012, 07:17:08 PM by Hi Lo Silver »

Offline Spinalguy

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #28 on: March 01, 2012, 07:54:35 PM »
Gun, i could have worded that better or actually just left out the 'seldom'. The majority of a group aired down.
Because FWS did not have a rule for it, invariably there were a few that did not air down. And thanks for reminding me about my other pet peeve :P
You haven't been on one of my runs gun ;), i have a pep talk about stay the course because the trail itself will present many challenges. No need to be doing the 'extra credits' along the way.
i had a few fantastic years with FWS. No disrespect intended.

As with every club, no drinking/drugging in effect. :) i should have stated that but i figured it was just a given.

Offline Rubi03 jef

• Talks waaay too much!
  • she never understands
« Reply #29 on: March 01, 2012, 09:35:30 PM »
i know what your saying its a pain in the arse to have to drag some douche around because he or she didnt listen and decided to come out anyways not prepared

as for airing down i air down always summer or winter it doesnt matter

and when i first started wheeling i didnt know anyone .. and by getting out and meeting people i didnt know :)   i learnt stuff and tricks and all that stuff
but i didnt know anyone from CJA  i got picked up by a group and they were more then welcoming to have me join  back then i had a tow rope and thats all . no jack no rear tow hook no winch no shovle no extra parts    but once i got out and saw how prepared people were thats when i myself decided i would get my jeep ready
i never leave home without my chain saw .. 2 extra chains and a full jerry can of fuel and oil .  thats the first thing to go in the jeep amount alot of other stuff

but we all started at one point on skiny bald tires and un prepared and with expeirence come knowledge   

so i just think people should run what they got  you never know they might hate bouncing around in a jeep all day long and never go out again

all this is just built up frustration that my jeep is not done yet
 ;D ;D