Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: open trail rides?  (Read 8290 times)

Offline bradley

• Budget Lift
open trail rides?
« on: February 25, 2012, 08:47:03 AM »
can anyone on the website post up a trail ride or do u have to be a cja member?
2002 jeep tj, 7 inch lift with long arm front and triangulated 4 link rear, 37x12.5x15 maxxis creepy crawler tires, custom front and rear bumpers, 12000 winch, G2 dana 44 front with detroit locker, 44 rear with spool, custom rear skins and flares, sye kit

Offline Jrama

• That CB Yapper
Re: open trail rides?
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2012, 08:51:33 AM »
Anyone can post a trail ride, that said be mindful of who you wheel with. Tread lightly and be safe

Offline jeepjones

• Budget Lift
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2012, 02:08:51 PM »
Just wheel, period. Who cares who your with.

Offline Jrama

• That CB Yapper
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2012, 03:49:36 PM »

True facts... its your call, your rig and your safety. I'd just hate to be with a group of guys who won't drag your arse out of the bush if something breaks, or who don't know a thing about recovery and they either wreck your equipment or you get clevis through your skull.

Who cares right...
« Last Edit: February 27, 2012, 03:51:38 PM by Jrama »

Offline SwampSinger

• CJA Members
  • Talks waaay too much!
  • Baconator
    • mmmmm-bacon
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2012, 04:06:08 PM »

I do ... I won't wheel with frickin' morons or people that drink and drive!
« Last Edit: February 27, 2012, 04:32:40 PM by SwampSinger »

Offline SwampSinger

• CJA Members
  • Talks waaay too much!
  • Baconator
    • mmmmm-bacon
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2012, 04:32:02 PM »
Bradley...most people on this site are ok.... most.

Just use common sense and don't succumb to pure pressure. If it doesn't feel right; it's usually not.

Check out the open runs section. There's usually people every weekend going out to the mountains.

You'll start seeing the usual culprit always ready to go... 

We also have meetings pretty much every 3rd Wednesday of every month. You'll meet members and non members there. Usually people are nice and don't mind new folks tagging along depending what they will do on their trail ride.

Look in the "event" section for details.

I hope that helps.

Cheers,
Dom

Offline bradley

• Budget Lift
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2012, 06:44:42 PM »
ya i try to b careful about who i wheel with but sometime u just gotta take a risk and go out with some new people, its a nice change of pace to go wheelin with people with different experience levels and who like different things, but thanks for the advice guys hope to see you all on the trails some day soon.

keep the rubber side down
2002 jeep tj, 7 inch lift with long arm front and triangulated 4 link rear, 37x12.5x15 maxxis creepy crawler tires, custom front and rear bumpers, 12000 winch, G2 dana 44 front with detroit locker, 44 rear with spool, custom rear skins and flares, sye kit

Offline w squared

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Keamy Hungry!
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2012, 06:52:19 PM »
Nothing wrong with going out with new folks - I've met some great folks doing exactly that.

All we ask is that people understand - just because someone posts up an informal run on this site does not make it a sanctioned CJA run. Use your own judgement and common sense while you're out there.
I followed a rainbow out to a garage and found a leprichaun. The rainbow ended in a potted cactus on his porch, but there was no gold :(

Offline jeepjones

• Budget Lift
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2012, 12:59:01 PM »
Stop getting your panties all in a bunch, do you guys even remember when wheeling was "FUN"?

Offline Rubi03 jef

• Talks waaay too much!
  • she never understands
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2012, 01:02:48 PM »
Stop getting your panties all in a bunch, do you guys even remember when wheeling was "FUN"?

i do

befor it met .....

lol
04 rubicon <4'' X series RC lift, 1.25'' RC body lift, 1'' RC MML, CV rear drive shaft,  Stubby front bumper, CB,35 MTZ" ,Hi Lifter 54'',LED tail lights , flat fenders, LED front Flasher, half doors, Light force spots, and CDN M101 custom Military trailer

Offline SwampSinger

• CJA Members
  • Talks waaay too much!
  • Baconator
    • mmmmm-bacon
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2012, 03:05:27 PM »
I thought you like seeing my panties in a bunch  :D... I still have lots of fun wheeling but I shake my head when I stop to help folks and I notice they are all messed up on some kind of pills or booze.

Should I help them out so they can continute thier D&D and may be injure someone or should leave them there for a while so they think about it?

You've been around for a while... remember how beautiful it was wheeling in Indian Grave... this is all gone because of irresposable teanagers and morons. I remenber that!

That ...I don't like ...but it's still out there.

That's all have have to say

Offline SwampSinger

• CJA Members
  • Talks waaay too much!
  • Baconator
    • mmmmm-bacon
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2012, 03:06:03 PM »
Bradley.. hope to shake you paw on the trail sometime!

Offline fug

• CJA Executive
  • Talks waaay too much!
  • Airdrie Pick n Pull
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2012, 03:21:40 PM »

Just wondering what you mean by when it was fun?

I still enjoy wheeling when I get a chance to get out there... I do wish we had more trails for sure... and I think it was a ton more fun when there was more trails out there to run. 

I do agree with SwampSinger tho, there are some situations I wouldn't feel comfortable being a part of (guys who are hammered or seem intent on doing things that put the people they are with in danger).  I guess at the end of the day you just play it by ear and go with your instincts.  You can meet alot of awesome people out on the trails no point in letting a few ruin that.
Fug
TJ Rubicon

Offline JackstandJohnny

• Talks waaay too much!
  • where Jeeps go to die
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2012, 03:47:40 PM »

simple answer to this.  every time, and i mean, EVERY time, i've met up with a bunch of randoms to go 'wheeling' 80% of the time we didn't get 20 minutes away from the Mclean store because someone was broken, or stuck, or broken or stuck.  this is why i actually joined CJA.  to meet responsible people to wheel with. 

now, most of the time (u know, back when i wheeled) when i go with my buddies or the fine folks in the Jeep club, we've had smooth, fun runs.  sometimes theres breakage, and when there is, everyone is willing to help. that is a nice feeling, and I myself have no problem helping others on the trail i'm with too. 

so now i like to know who i'm wheelin with.  club members and friends. that way at least when someone does something stupid or breaks, i know most of the people around and we can help out or shoot the breeze and wait our turn. 

that to me makes the day much better than meeting up with some randoms and hoping we get out of mclean by 3 am......
~ rescue green JKUR on 35s.  typical rubicon build

Offline Jrama

• That CB Yapper
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2012, 04:55:54 PM »
I do a lot of completely open runs with all sorts of people or ummm "randoms" and I rarely run into problems. Matter of fact I usually see the same guys now on just about every open run I go on, I see these guys out wheelin regularly tons more than club members  ;D.

I will agree with Jones in that the best way to get into it is to just go and wheel and learn. Figure out what you like and what you don't. It goes without saying common sense applies. Lots of great people on this site I  wouldn't hesitate to go wheelin with just about any regular-ish user of this forum.