Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: 2012 Offroading challenge! need help guyz  (Read 3896 times)

Offline 1stjeep.ro

• Baby Wheeler
2012 Offroading challenge! need help guyz
« on: September 28, 2012, 03:44:51 PM »
Hi, hope you are all doing well. I sold my jeep last year due to some unforeseen circumstances and Ive been missing it ever since...  However. Recently, my friends and I came up with a little challenge for this month of October. What we have to do is find a vehicle of any kind that is under $500 and can go offroading in and do some challenges ( to which are not known to us just yet ). Since you gentlemen are experienced offroaders, what would you recommend I should be looking into for a capable vehicle under 500? ( also were not allowed to modify them in any way, except for looks ) :D

Offline w squared

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Keamy Hungry!
Re: 2012 Offroading challenge! need help guyz
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2012, 04:03:22 PM »
4 wheel drive.

Low range.

Tires that don't completely suck....try to find AT's or MT's...but that's honestly not likely to happen.

At the $500 price point, and not allowed to modify it, everything else is gravy.
I followed a rainbow out to a garage and found a leprichaun. The rainbow ended in a potted cactus on his porch, but there was no gold :(

Offline 1stjeep.ro

• Baby Wheeler
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2012, 04:11:07 PM »
what I envision is to make it to the gravel pit where wed be given a series of challenges. were not going to do intense trails of any sorts

Offline WhiteOut

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2012, 04:30:59 PM »
"Buy" someone's Jeep for a day, win the competition, "sell" the Jeep back to them the next day.

Offline Kanueh

• Budget Lift
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2012, 04:39:26 PM »
"Buy" someone's Jeep for a day, win the competition, "sell" the Jeep back to them the next day.

Great idea!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2008 JKU Rubicon
3" BDS Lift / Kingone 9.5 Winch / 1.5" Spidertrax Wheel Spacers / Custom Front Drive Shaft
EVO Sleeves, Outer axle seals, Gussets, Control Arm Skids / Poison Spyder EVAP Skid
Superchips FlashPaq / Spal Waterproof Radiator Fan / Univers

Offline Hi Lo Silver

• That CB Yapper
    • http://www.fourwheelstampeders.ca
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2012, 04:42:33 PM »
« Last Edit: February 25, 2013, 08:36:52 PM by Hi Lo Silver »

Offline 1stjeep.ro

• Baby Wheeler
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2012, 05:23:33 PM »
haha, that would be cheating Lol! show up with a complete offroading rig and blow the competition out of the water . I've been looking at xj's and 4runners, what do you recommend?

Offline Spinalguy

• Talks waaay too much!
    • http://www.spinalguy.com
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2012, 07:15:27 PM »
Hope the obstacles aren't the type that totally destroy a rig beyond it's point of returning to town.  :)
just what i was thinking. Make sure the challenge includes picking up all broken parts, removing all vehicles that die and having a really good time!
sent from my old school rotary dial phone.

Offline TL-Iguana

• Talks waaay too much!
  • XJ - The Official TJ Rescue Vehicle
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2012, 09:31:42 PM »
AMC Eagle.

Theres one in Ontario for $450.00 :D

I did a Google search for "hot trannies" but nothing came up about oil coolers  :o

Worrying too much about mpg with a Jeep is similar to worrying about your sister's virginity. An ok thing to be concerned about but...

'01 XJ on 35s, '11 Jk DD

Offline cLAY

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2012, 11:50:57 PM »
$500? Good luck with that. Doubt you will find a Toyota. Might find a beat up XJ if you are lucky. I'm guessing you will end up in a Bronco II, S10 or Explorer.

Check the police auction.

'93 ZJ, 5.2L, lifted/locked/36s..<gone>
'98 5.9er 4.10s,locked,LA,WJ knuckles

Offline 1stjeep.ro

• Baby Wheeler
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2012, 07:32:30 AM »
Actually I found an xj AND a 4runner  for sale within budget , hopefully theyre still available when i get back from work ( in 10 days ) Were planning to do this challenge on the 20th of October weekend. Wish us luck ! Im curious what theyre bringing. Were going to have a part in the challenge where we lose points for every bit that falls off our cars during the drive haha

Offline Bnine

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Sticky Fingers
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2012, 04:42:30 PM »
Great idea. Red neck loser Olympics.

If luck will have it, maybe all y'all good ol boys will end up inverted in the gravel pit pond so we clean up the gene pool around here.
My Mechanic Calgary
Mobile Auto Care
403-483-1083
[email protected]

Offline apeman

• Talks waaay too much!
  • not as grumpy
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2012, 11:47:31 PM »
The pool needs a serious dose of chlorine.  Or maybe everyone takes a shot of bleach before doing their run.
Getting grumpier every day.
99 XJ - It's got sum stuff ,Noel free stuff..
98 ZJ - It's just ugly, but bigger than your Rubi

Offline 1stjeep.ro

• Baby Wheeler
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2012, 07:59:24 AM »
THanks a lot for all your feedback. For your information I used to offroad with you cja guys last year and I know about the trail etiquette if you will, we wont be going in there to trash the place up also we have recovery vehicles in case of. Nothing will be left for you guys to " clean up" God forbid... "y'all "... mods feel free to close this thread down

Offline Spinalguy

• Talks waaay too much!
    • http://www.spinalguy.com
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2012, 08:09:38 AM »
THanks a lot for all your feedback. For your information I used to offroad with you cja guys last year and I know about the trail etiquette if you will, we wont be going in there to trash the place up also we have recovery vehicles in case of. Nothing will be left for you guys to " clean up" God forbid... "y'all "... mods feel free to close this thread down
Thanks for acknowledging that. Concerns were raised in many peoples minds when you mentioned you get bonus points for parts falling off. Until you made the above post, you never even hinted at 100% cleaning up every broken piece of truck and/or not abandoning them.
As i said earlier, have fun and thanks for making it clear that you will leave the area better than you arrived.
sent from my old school rotary dial phone.