Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: Recommended tires  (Read 8074 times)

Offline GrandHeep

• Stocker
Recommended tires
« on: November 02, 2012, 09:24:53 AM »
I'm looking for some advise on tire choice. i will be purchasing tires shortly and  i had my mind set on the trxus m/t read some reviews and found more then 60% said they didnt like them and about 40% of those who didnt like them said so becasue of highway speed sidewall blowouts. since this is a vehicle that will be carrying my 2 year old son and is a weekend warrior im not really exstatic on these tires any more. what kind of tires do ya'll recommend for a 95 grand with a 4 inch lift and 1 inch coil spacer? i am looking for 33" M/T's for mostly trails with the occasional mclean creek ooops it was deeper then i thought. any suggestions from your own experiance would be appreciated. and yes my 4x4 experiance is mostley as a swamper so as i proverbially drop the soap with this question please be gentle.

Offline WhiteOut

• Talks waaay too much!
Re: Recommended tires
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2012, 09:32:07 AM »
BFG KM2s - Good in the mud, have to rotate frequently, loud as they wear or get uneven wear, absolute crap on ice

Goodyear MTR/K - My next tire, heard nothing but good about them

Goodyear Duratracs - After seeing many blowouts and damage, I wouldn't run them offroad. I'm going to be using them as a dedicated winter tire

Toyo OCMT - Heard nothing but good things about them

What is your lift setup with? 33's on a ZJ require a bit more than other Jeeps. You will also need a fullsize spare if you plan on attending CJA runs. Even if you don't you still need one if you have the 249 transfer case.

Offline GrandHeep

• Stocker
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2012, 09:35:10 AM »
are you asking what kind of lift it is? its a roughcountry i think out of my brothers zj as he bought one with adjustable control arms i believe and i understand that i will have to trim and such to fit 33's. I have the 249 but im rebuilding a 231 from a yj i believe because it has the harmonic damper on it. regardless of full time four wheel or 2 wheel option i will have a full size spare. makes me feel more comfertable and i would really enjoy coming on a cja trip to get the hang of being the captain as opposed to being the grunt and choosing lines and to meet some other members.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2012, 09:47:36 AM by GrandHeep »

Offline JENSSEN

• Talks waaay too much!
    • Racing For The Cure
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2012, 09:46:42 AM »
Toyo mud terrains,... Bought them for the TJ. I had snow tires for the jeep but sold them as the toyos rocked the winter conditions and the snows seemed redundant
www.racingforthecure.ca

Definition of Link to this definition of Blasphemy
1. [n] blasphemous behavior; the act of depriving something of its sacred character;

Offline GrandHeep

• Stocker
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2012, 09:52:22 AM »
how did you like them on the ice?

Offline morerpmfred

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2012, 10:05:08 AM »
I have the federal couregia mt in 33s. In mud wow they rock. On rock work pretty dam good. As a daily driver, quiet. Hardly hear them. Ice and snow on pavement they work better then the hankook a/t s i have on the work van. Have not tryed them on the hills yet in deep snow and icy hills. On pavement ice they work way better then the syped procomp mt I had before.
Do a google search on pirate about mtr kevlar side wall failure on the highway at full inflation pressure.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2012, 10:10:54 AM by morerpmfred »

Offline heep-a-lop

• UberWheeler
  • EMF WHORE
    • EMF Rod Ends And Steering Components
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2012, 12:18:02 PM »
highly recomend anything dick cepeck... nice compound they heat up quick if u need them to...  i run the crushers(which probally arent good on ice for a average driver) but even the mud countrys on the emf minivan are awesome and have held up damn well..

Offline tubby

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Life's too short for a fulltime job
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2012, 12:21:25 PM »

Prepare to be overwhelmed by the various and  numerous tire recommendations that will come your way.
Lockers
Cuz ya can't kick arse with only one leg

Offline WhiteOut

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2012, 12:30:01 PM »
Do a google search on pirate about mtr kevlar side wall failure on the highway at full inflation pressure.

If you're running any tire at max inflation, you pretty much deserve whatever you get.

Offline JENSSEN

• Talks waaay too much!
    • Racing For The Cure
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2012, 12:54:07 PM »
how did you like them on the ice?

No issues,.. Pulled a dead jeep car (motor and trans full of water) 40+ kms through the trails in the bush last spring on got stuck on on hill. My Neighbour recently swapped from toyo AT's to MT's on his dodge diesel  and was blown away with the difference in snow/ice traction.
www.racingforthecure.ca

Definition of Link to this definition of Blasphemy
1. [n] blasphemous behavior; the act of depriving something of its sacred character;

Offline LEMON-AID JAY

• That CB Yapper
  • Bad a$$ zj owner
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2012, 02:27:32 PM »
Toyo mt's all the way. If you want a price on them give us a call at E-mortal 403-265-6669
E-mortal customs
Www.e-mortalcustoms.com
3-2808 Ogden road s.e.
E-mail. [email protected]
Phone 403-265-6669
E-mail @ [email protected]
for all your 4x4 needs

www.piratesof4x4.com

Offline JackstandJohnny

• Talks waaay too much!
  • where Jeeps go to die
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2012, 02:30:47 PM »
Thornbirds are the best tire on the market if you can find them.

Boggers are a close second.
~ rescue green JKUR on 35s.  typical rubicon build

Offline tubby

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Life's too short for a fulltime job
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2012, 04:54:57 PM »
Thornbirds are the best tire on the market if you can find them.

Damn you John!
Ya beat me to it. Quit recommending these bad boys or everyone will be running them.
Lockers
Cuz ya can't kick arse with only one leg

Offline Jrama

• That CB Yapper
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2012, 05:03:03 PM »
Toyo
MtR - K
Baja Mtz

All nice all work very well, I have seem them all work in person. Even the Km2 should be able to get you by.

Offline hps4evr

• Administrator
  • Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2012, 06:39:21 PM »
Toyo
MtR - K
Baja Mtz

All nice all work very well, I have seem them all work in person. Even the Km2 should be able to get you by.

These 3. All have 3 ply sidewalls and all wear, ride and perform very well all over. 
YJ=Y’all Jealous