Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: Recommended tires  (Read 8072 times)

Offline JackstandJohnny

• Talks waaay too much!
  • where Jeeps go to die
Re: Recommended tires
« Reply #30 on: November 03, 2012, 07:29:51 PM »
Derail the tire thread for a few minutes just cause I like to brag about my obsession ;)

Currently: 4 (a 98 5.9, 04 TJ, 93 YJ, 84 CJ)
Have owned: Tj -1, YJ-4, CJ-2, ZJ-4, XJ-12 or more... total of 25+

you know i'm going to chime in......... ;)
TJ 2
WJ 1
XJ 4 technically (all for parts, ones sitting in my buddy Seans garage)
YJ 1
ZJ 10
JK 1

dammit. Fug you win.
~ rescue green JKUR on 35s.  typical rubicon build

Offline WhiteOut

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #31 on: November 03, 2012, 08:30:33 PM »
The ZJs don't count since we gutted 8 of them. And many had questionable insurance and registration status
« Last Edit: November 03, 2012, 08:32:23 PM by WhiteOut »

Offline Sugarphreak

• Budget Lift
« Reply #32 on: November 03, 2012, 08:46:26 PM »
Put another one down for Toyo MT's, whenever mine wear out (about 25K on them so far and still a good 85% left) I will be putting another set on. Great on the road, great in the mud, great in the snow... a little iffy on ice though, lol.

now ask all these people who actually wheels their jeeps.... heck ask if they even own a JEEP

I don't own a Jeep anymore  :(
I wanted a Jeep... but the wife gave me a Hummer!

Offline TL-Iguana

• Talks waaay too much!
  • XJ - The Official TJ Rescue Vehicle
« Reply #33 on: November 03, 2012, 09:51:22 PM »
I have been running the Kumho MT KL71's on my XJ and they have worn great.. Granted its been parked 2 years, but the 3 years I did drive on them they wore very well. had lots of grip when aired down, and give that awesome hum on the highway so everyone around you knows your coming. They have never let me down yet, other than when i popped one bead but that was only because I lost a valve stem and it went instantly flat. They rock in deep snow but on ice with ZERO siping they are like wearing tennis shoes... So in terms of mileage, noise, grip on ice and weight, if any of these are a factor they are not the tire for you. Otherwise ive been pretty happy with em. As you see tires are all to do with personal experience and preference... All i can advise against is BFG AT's. Personally the WORST tire I have ever owned. Thank god I got rid of those when I did. If you want a good AT tire, the general grabber 2 gets good reviews.

Also still somewhat on topic, I got mine from 1010tires.com

Great service, and cheapest price I found in Canada for those... saved 50 bucks a tire when i got them..... shameless plug for what I found to be a good place to buy from :)
« Last Edit: November 03, 2012, 09:54:28 PM by TL-Iguana »
I did a Google search for "hot trannies" but nothing came up about oil coolers  :o

Worrying too much about mpg with a Jeep is similar to worrying about your sister's virginity. An ok thing to be concerned about but...

'01 XJ on 35s, '11 Jk DD

Offline esi

• That CB Yapper
« Reply #34 on: November 03, 2012, 10:42:31 PM »
All i can advise against is BFG AT's. Personally the WORST tire I have ever
X2
MTZs or Maxxis
MTZs were great all round tire, really good on ice, not kidding they don t look like they should be with only a sipe per tread block

« Last Edit: November 03, 2012, 10:47:57 PM by esi »
Formerly of Boots & Boost Inc
Back farming and fabricating again.

Offline fug

• CJA Executive
  • Talks waaay too much!
  • Airdrie Pick n Pull
« Reply #35 on: November 04, 2012, 08:12:56 AM »
It's nice to see other people are just as whacked as me when it comes to Jeep ownership  ;D :)

My contribution to the tire conversation is I've liked the MTZ's, BFG MT, Toyo's and disliked the BFG AT's, Trxus MT and STS
Fug
TJ Rubicon

Offline specialk

• CJA Executive
  • Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #36 on: November 05, 2012, 10:29:25 AM »
Trxus like to haunt you by staying on as your spare and mock you for making such a poor choice in tires in the first place...

Pitbulls all the way!
04 TJ Rubi

Offline binare

• That CB Yapper
Re: Re: Recommended tires
« Reply #37 on: November 05, 2012, 10:56:48 AM »
Which is too bad for the trxus MT, cause it does have a great tread.

Offline Hi Lo Silver

• That CB Yapper
    • http://www.fourwheelstampeders.ca
« Reply #38 on: November 05, 2012, 04:00:05 PM »
 :)
« Last Edit: February 25, 2013, 08:15:43 PM by Hi Lo Silver »

Offline binare

• That CB Yapper
« Reply #39 on: November 05, 2012, 05:26:05 PM »
Also, don't listen to everyone calling MTs mud terrains, typically it means maximum traction. For example Goodyear MT/R means Maximum Traction/Reinforced. They suck in the mud compared to a true mud tire and haul in the rocks. Toyo MT also means Maximum Traction, they however do not suck in the mud.

Offline steveo xj

• Baby Wheeler
  • the guys
« Reply #40 on: November 05, 2012, 07:48:44 PM »
Currently;

89,93,97,98 XJ
88,88,89,90,90 MJ
2004 TJ
Sold this year
96 ZJ, 97 XJ, 00 XJ, 92 XJ , 99ZJ

In the past few years mostly XJ's and a few ZJ's not sure the total,... Many gave their life to make others move again

i have the 2000 xj thanks   runs good
have the new xj  love it 2000 with bumper an fenders 4.5inc lift on 33 dura. the zj for now with 3.5 inc  iron rock

Offline Jrama

• That CB Yapper
« Reply #41 on: November 05, 2012, 08:56:23 PM »
Also, don't listen to everyone calling MTs mud terrains, typically it means maximum traction. For example Goodyear MT/R means Maximum Traction/Reinforced. They suck in the mud compared to a true mud tire and haul in the rocks. Toyo MT also means Maximum Traction, they however do not suck in the mud.

Hmmm well I'm sure we will go wheelin sometime and you can tell me how much my MTR-K's suck in mud. Granted I'd give the toyo a slight advantage MTR-K's still pull hard.

What would be a real mud tire then? I say anything with large lugs and voids is a mud tire despite the technicalities
« Last Edit: November 05, 2012, 08:58:01 PM by Jrama »

Offline binare

• That CB Yapper
« Reply #42 on: November 05, 2012, 09:42:28 PM »
For sure man, love to go wheelin with ya, and its pretty well the general consensus that they ain't good in mud. Much like I'm glad my duratracs work out for me, I'm glad your mtrs work out for you :)

Also, if you read the WHOLE sentence, you'll notice that I said they suck in the mud COMPARED to a true mud tire, if it makes you feel you better... I'll add that the MT/R is a lot better then mine in the mud, hands down.

Offline Bnine

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Sticky Fingers
« Reply #43 on: November 06, 2012, 06:46:52 AM »
Hmmm well I'm sure we will go wheelin sometime and you can tell me how much my MTR-K's suck in mud. Granted I'd give the toyo a slight advantage MTR-K's still pull hard.

What would be a real mud tire then? I say anything with large lugs and voids is a mud tire despite the technicalities

Boggers followed by TSl's are about the only tires that are designed for pure mud. But it shows because they lack in the rocks and the loose stuff compared the inbetweens like mtr's, toyo's, mtz's, etc etc.
My Mechanic Calgary
Mobile Auto Care
403-483-1083
[email protected]

Offline Bnine

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Sticky Fingers
« Reply #44 on: November 06, 2012, 06:49:15 AM »
Unfortunately I cant chime in on the multi jeep ownership since I've only had a handfull.

Let me know when we get to the outragious dollars spent on a rig and Im in ;)
My Mechanic Calgary
Mobile Auto Care
403-483-1083
[email protected]