Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: Jumping on to the R2.8 Conversion  (Read 3349 times)

Offline hps4evr

• Administrator
  • Talks waaay too much!
Re: Jumping on to the R2.8 Conversion
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2019, 09:49:32 PM »
Is the JK radiator able to cool the bigger engine or is that getting upgraded too?
YJ=Y’all Jealous

Offline Sixty4X4

• CJA Members
  • Baby Wheeler
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2019, 07:39:00 PM »
update: Engine is in. Was very simple with the Motech mounts adapting the Chev motor to the existing Jeep mounts. Previous versions of engines have required one to remove the existing front mounts and weed in new ones supplied by Motech. Now one gets the hydraulic mounts and brackets and it all just bolts in.
Trying to get the input shaft retaining circlip undone out of the Jeep transfer case but turns out I need a special set of pliers. Anyone know of a place to go or is there a friendly Mopar dealer that will take the 2 minutes and undo it for me. Once this is done I can set the rear mount, align the engine and tighten it all down. Then the small stuff begins such as AC, PS, Brakes, Chev ECU/TCU, Jeep original but now modified harness, Console conversion to auto, fuel lines, radiator, SS Camaro fan, Miscellaneous other stuff, driveshafts. In the picture you can see that the engine fits nice and one can get at the spark plugs quite easy.
[img]engine for jeepJPG/img]
2008 JKU Ruby, Jeep steel bumper, 9500 winch, 2016 5.3 Chev LT & 8L90 8 spd auto, 285 Maxxis Bighorns, MC 2.5" and LC Arms.

Offline Sixty4X4

• CJA Members
  • Baby Wheeler
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2019, 07:42:49 PM »
How does one post a picture? This site format has given me grief with other forums as well. I have no trouble with others. I run an Apple Mac but that should not be different.
2008 JKU Ruby, Jeep steel bumper, 9500 winch, 2016 5.3 Chev LT & 8L90 8 spd auto, 285 Maxxis Bighorns, MC 2.5" and LC Arms.

Offline MattMan

• Administrator
  • That CB Yapper
  • old age & treachery wins over youth & vigour
« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2019, 09:57:31 PM »
Try logging into the site via Tapatalk. Should be easier to upload a photo...
MattMan

'21 JL Rubi, 3.6l 8spd, Warn VR10, 2.5" lift, Tazered w/35’s

Offline Sixty4X4

• CJA Members
  • Baby Wheeler
« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2020, 10:05:59 PM »
UPDATE: The engine is running fine. It is like it was made for a Jeep. 8 speed auto shifts like a dream. Really accelerates now on highway perhaps a bit better than the 1500 2016 pickup it came out of. No issues so far with fuel economy looking better than the V6 was. First 4 wheel trip is this Saturday 25 July for trail ride. Will see how it goes in crawl with 2.72 transfer case as had to get rid of 4.0 unit due to transmission output shaft from Chev too large to reduce down to the Rubicon unit. Still have to install an Earls fitting (ordered) to raise the cooling lines above the driveshaft as Chev factory unit may clash with driveshaft when flexing diff. Few other minor issues such as AC lines leaked out my new R134a fluid, cruise does not work, Economy meter not getting fuel used from Chev and tachometer still not going. Stock Jeep rad was used with 2019 Camaro SS fan and no cooling issues. Used new u-joint driveshafts from Cory @ Driveline Specialties. Had to as Jeep units could not take the extra power and lifted suspension angles. Other than that it is a pleasure to drive. Have MC springs installed and did MC LCAs on front so far (too lazy to put rears in yet) and that did a great job for setting caster at about 5*+. No more road feedback in steering now. HP Tuners is a must for tuning both the Chev system and for turning features off in the Jeep system. Next is to fix the small issues and install a Scangauge to monitor the Chev engine better. We will see how things go on its first trail run this Saturday.
Hopefully this was not too boring to read.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2020, 10:19:36 PM by Sixty4X4 »

Offline Sixty4X4

• CJA Members
  • Baby Wheeler
« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2020, 07:13:18 PM »
The trail run was great and Jeep ran like a dream. Changes gear going up some good hills in low range, even changed up couple of gears while stalling down in a mud hole and when applying good throttle. Transmission shifts perfect and when in manual tap shift becomes like a clutchless manual. Don't miss the 4-1 transfer case as Low and 1st gear is perfect and in mist cases I was climbing steep shale roads in L3. No overheating and no other issues. Fuel consumption is about 12-14mpg off road.

Offline MattMan

• Administrator
  • That CB Yapper
  • old age & treachery wins over youth & vigour
« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2020, 06:48:20 PM »
Obviously we took it way too easy on you.  ;)
Glad to hear all the hard work is paying off!
MattMan

'21 JL Rubi, 3.6l 8spd, Warn VR10, 2.5" lift, Tazered w/35’s