Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: Stocker Run and Trail Clean Up / Sat. Aug. 19th  (Read 32688 times)

Offline 01sahara

• Talks waaay too much!
Stocker Run and Trail Clean Up / Sat. Aug. 19th
« on: July 24, 2006, 09:48:12 PM »
Stocker Run and Trail Clean Up

Saturday August 19th.

The current plan is to take a run out to the falls in Waiparus. The trail is an easy one. Along the side of the trail is an old rusted and rotten utility trailer. In an effort to provide some stewardship of the remaining trail in the area I would like to see if we can’t disassemble and cut the trailer up so we can haul it out.  Please bring hacksaws, tools and work gloves.

Minimum requirements:
Tires with good tread.
Mechanically sound jeep.
Front & Rear tow points.
Tow strap with looped ends (no hooks).

CB radio.

This should be an easy run with a small trail project  as a bonus.
I would like to meet at Smtty’s in Cochrane and leave by 8:30 for the trail. I will likely be there by 7:30 for breakfast. New guys are welcome.  

Please post if your interested.

Thanks,

Blair.
Super Winch, 33" MT, 2 1/2" lift , CB, Flat Fender
http://melaman2.com/cartoons/singles/george-jungle.html

Offline BUKI

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Project Fugly
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2006, 10:21:28 PM »
Hey I am very interested.  Need better tires though.
will have to see if it complicates with work I'll get back to you closer to the date.

Rony

Me too Please
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2006, 07:31:45 AM »
Barring any unforseeable misfortune I should be there. Give me a chance to run her and try her out.

80CJ

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2006, 01:49:16 PM »
Quote from: "BUKI"
Hey I am very interested.  Need better tires though.
will have to see if it complicates with work I'll get back to you closer to the date.

You made the trail the other day at Mclean with those tires and this trail is much easier. You will be fine on those tires. They have good tread right? Aren't they just a street tread?

Abrasive

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2006, 01:55:49 PM »
Put me down as a "Maybe"
Depends on 3 things:
1) If I'm working.
2) If I can get the parts to reliably run my truck by then.
3) If it's a "Jeeps only" thing, as my Jeep will be gone by the end of the week and I'll be bringing my F150.

Kris

Offline BUKI

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Project Fugly
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2006, 04:18:07 PM »
To 80CJ yeah I made the trip, but the question is should I have?..
One of my tires is down to the wear bars so I want to swap it for one with great tread.  Should be done by trip time.

Rony

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2006, 05:11:19 PM »
ok seeing as I am comming up from the Hat... I dont have a CB but a Two way will work just a cheap brand from Radio shack??? Also should one bring a Jerry can w/fuel? Or will filling up in Camrose be ok for the trip ... Snit do I have the right place... Mental note make sure to double check the meet point before we go...

Rony

« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2006, 05:11:56 PM »
I did mean to say Cochran honestly

Offline apex

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2006, 05:13:35 PM »
Buki, I've got a set of 235 R15 Toyo Open Country AT's mounted on cromies if you want to give them a go for this ride. 5 on 4.5 Better than Goodyear Wrangler GSA's.

Drop me a PM if you want to try them out.

Offline 01sahara

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2006, 07:16:18 PM »
Quote from: "Rony"
ok seeing as I am comming up from the Hat... I dont have a CB but a Two way will work just a cheap brand from Radio shack??? Also should one bring a Jerry can w/fuel? Or will filling up in Camrose be ok for the trip ... Snit do I have the right place... Mental note make sure to double check the meet point before we go...

More on the radio issue. In the past the club has utilized both CBs and FRS two way radios on the trail runs. However, on a few runs this year we have had safety issues due to lack of communications with two separate systems. I received some private messages form the more experienced members suggesting we should encourage all vehicles to use CB radios for added safety. If cost is an issue for a new CB then an option might be looking for a used handheld CB unit. One of the other website had a post indicating that used handheld CBs are fairly cheep at pawn shops. FRS radios are better than nothing but I think the trend is toward CBs only on Club runs. I think as a safety issue this is a good idea. I would suggest a used CB is a better investment if this jeep thing is going to be a habit. You also miss all of the jokes if you don’t have a CB. I will try to have a look around a few of the pawn shops in the north west part of Calgary and see if I find any used hand held CBs.

Does anyone have a spare hand held CB to lend to one of the new guys?

Filling the tank in Cochrane is more than enough fuel for this run.

Offline Spinalguy

• Talks waaay too much!
    • http://www.spinalguy.com
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2006, 07:52:15 PM »
Good on ya for taking on this impromptu trail cleaning  :)

i agree 10000000% that every run should be cb only. Things happen very quickly out there and even quicker when something goes horribly wrong. If the 4x4 in question is in a precarious position with FSR only and the guy behind him is the only one that can see him and has CB only, you can see how this would be a crappy position to be in trying to relay messages. What if a simple STOP needed to be translated immediately? By the time CB guy screams it and someone else with FSR translates it, it is too late. A 2 type communication sysytem is not ever a good idea.
OR
you could be like all my wheelin buddies that have NOTHING to communicate with but ............ :roll:
Tom :)
sent from my old school rotary dial phone.

Broich

I'm in if....
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2006, 08:00:23 PM »
Hey i'm in if the house sells and we don't have an open house this weekend. I know it would sound like that would be the perfect time to go but a pregnant wife with two large dogs isn't a good mix to leave behind to fend for themselves.

Now i too only have a FRS radio so what do we want to do with that rising situation?

But i do have a 00 TJ with 35's on a 4" susp. lift. and hopefully the "proper" winch plate coming in tomorrow so i can get my winch on. But the diffs are still open so i haven't been out much in her as to my nerveousness of breaking an axle on the stock 35 rear. Or just getting plain stuck with the opens.

Hope to meet you guys on Sat.

D

Rony

« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2006, 09:13:52 PM »
ok another quick question... Any CB radio will work and they will automatically tune in with everyone's that will be on the trail.? I have never used a cb, just a two way I priced some out at Circut City so I may just go buy one and end that dillema.

C u Soon
Kryss

Offline 01sahara

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2006, 09:34:59 PM »
Quote from: "Rony"
ok another quick question... Any CB radio will work and they will automatically tune in with everyone's that will be on the trail.? I have never used a cb, just a two way I priced some out at Circut City so I may just go buy one and end that dillema.

C u Soon
Kryss

Most of the CBs I have seen in the club have from channel 1-40 as options. At the beginning of the run we have a drivers meeting and decide what channel to use. If anyone has a hand held unit with less channels then we would pick a cannel that works for them. Out of 14 or so runs I have been on in the last year I think we used channel 10 on each run. It seems to be a habit. If you are looking for a CB it does not have to be a fancy unit we are usually fairly close on the trail. There are two stores in Calgary that specialize in selling new units. If you have any questions about installing the unit ask online a few of the guys are good at offering suggestions.

Offline apex

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2006, 09:35:48 PM »
CB channels are dedicated frequency for transmission and reception. All channels are tuned to the standardized specs regardless of make/model of CB.