Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: MAHINDRA ROXOR  (Read 1024 times)

Offline grendel

• Stocker
MAHINDRA ROXOR
« on: March 06, 2020, 10:29:32 AM »
Hi Guys... From searching the forum, I realize that most of you are aware that Mahindra has made the Indian-market Thar Jeep available in North American as the "Roxor". For those of you who don't, the headline is that if you want a modern-build 1947 Willys Jeep today, you can now purchase one from us here at Cycle Works. We've got the franchise.

After World War II, in the wave of de-colonialization that swept the world, the Indian government was eager to embark on an ambitious program of industrialization and technology transfer from Europe in order to secure their prosperity. To that end, they acquired the licenses to build and produce several vehicles that are still made in India today, more or less unchanged from that era: the Royal Enfield Bullet motorcycle, the Austin minor passenger car, and the Willys CJ, among others.

FCA, the current owners of the Jeep name and image, are, as can be expected, not totally thrilled about Mahindra selling vintage Jeeps again in North America. Also, emissions and safety regulations have come a long way since 1947, and as such, the Roxor is not homologated for on-highway use.

However, if you're looking for an extremely rugged, simple, and easy to modify UTV with character, the Roxor is a great weekend toy. For less than the price of a modern plastic UTV, you get a ladder-frame, solid axle/leaf spring sprung, steel bodied WWII troop mover - and excellent rock-crawler.

Many of the parts are interchangeable with vintage Willys Jeeps, so if you've got a rusting vintage Jeep, Mahindra might just be able to get your restoration project moving along.

Here's a couple of great articles that are a great jumping off point for understanding the brand:

https://jalopnik.com/the-mahindra-roxor-is-a-reincarnated-willys-jeep-and-yo-1824020754

https://jalopnik.com/heres-how-the-mahindra-roxor-compares-to-a-1948-willys-1826771078

If you'd like more information, please come see me at Cycle Works @ 4127 6 St NE. DM me for prices, or call me directly at 403-837-0360.

Offline hps4evr

• Administrator
  • Talks waaay too much!
Re: MAHINDRA ROXOR
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2020, 01:27:44 PM »
Didn’t Chrysler Corp go after Mahindra in the courts over the design and looks? Last I heard it was dealt with but just curious is all.
YJ=Y’all Jealous

Offline SwampSinger

• CJA Members
  • Talks waaay too much!
  • Baconator
    • mmmmm-bacon
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2020, 01:35:18 PM »
how does it go again,...

Offline cLAY

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2020, 02:59:17 PM »
So basically you are trying to sell a UTV thats not legal on any quad or SxS trail.

'93 ZJ, 5.2L, lifted/locked/36s..<gone>
'98 5.9er 4.10s,locked,LA,WJ knuckles

Offline Vinman

• CJA Executive
  • Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2020, 06:07:10 PM »
So basically you are trying to sell a UTV thats not legal on any quad or SxS trail.

Why are they not legal on the SxS trails?
/l ,[____],
 l---L -OlllllllO-
 ()_)-()_)-o-)_)

Quote from: Bnine link=topic=25904.msg162940#msg162940      date=1341881306

Resident prick is my job and it took me ten years to earn that title

Offline cLAY

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2020, 11:55:16 AM »
Too heavy

'93 ZJ, 5.2L, lifted/locked/36s..<gone>
'98 5.9er 4.10s,locked,LA,WJ knuckles

Offline zeek

• Baby Wheeler
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2020, 07:50:32 AM »
well hi guys...we went on a drive yesterday and stumbled upon a lethbridge dealership called new way. and outside were 2 roxers. I sat in one of them and did a comparison to my TJ. It sits taller than the TJ but is not as wide. They are just as big as my TJ in physical size. it is a very simple design of coarse being a willy's style jeep. It sits on leaf springs instead of coils. The dash is very simple, all the gauges idiot lights speedometer etc are in one big gauge in the middle of the dash sort of like the old CJ5's. The headlamp,and horn switch are located on the dash. It has plugs for other switches but are not knocked out...sort of like a electric receptacle box has but for 1" rocker switches.  It is a 4X4 as noted by the floor shift and both the ones that were there were standards, and the one i was in had a 2.5L engine. Roll bar but no windshield in the one i was in. The other one had a soft cab with windshield. the interior was just ryno coating nothing else with old style wills seats. It is by no means as refined as a TJ. However if you like that retro look...like myself... I sure would give it a go. they did look like they would be really fun to drive.
thanks
Zeek
« Last Edit: May 31, 2020, 08:01:18 AM by zeek »

Offline hps4evr

• Administrator
  • Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2020, 05:22:38 PM »
well hi guys...we went on a drive yesterday and stumbled upon a lethbridge dealership called new way. and outside were 2 roxers. I sat in one of them and did a comparison to my TJ. It sits taller than the TJ but is not as wide. They are just as big as my TJ in physical size. it is a very simple design of coarse being a willy's style jeep. It sits on leaf springs instead of coils. The dash is very simple, all the gauges idiot lights speedometer etc are in one big gauge in the middle of the dash sort of like the old CJ5's. The headlamp,and horn switch are located on the dash. It has plugs for other switches but are not knocked out...sort of like a electric receptacle box has but for 1" rocker switches.  It is a 4X4 as noted by the floor shift and both the ones that were there were standards, and the one i was in had a 2.5L engine. Roll bar but no windshield in the one i was in. The other one had a soft cab with windshield. the interior was just ryno coating nothing else with old style wills seats. It is by no means as refined as a TJ. However if you like that retro look...like myself... I sure would give it a go. they did look like they would be really fun to drive.
thanks
Zeek

But I don’t think they will ever be street legal in Canada.
YJ=Y’all Jealous

Offline zeek

• Baby Wheeler
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2020, 06:43:24 AM »
ya probably not