Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: Ghost Forest Land Use Zone Bridge Repair AUG 25  (Read 8253 times)

kln

Ghost Forest Land Use Zone Bridge Repair AUG 25
« on: July 17, 2007, 05:26:20 PM »
The bridge is located between the Mockingbird Lookout and Waiparous Valley roads between trail intersections 119 and 121. The rain that occurred on or about June 08 has eroded the south embankment along with the bridge’s supporting structure. There is also some minor displacement of the supporting structure on the north side.

Garry has lined up the truck and skid steer. I'm looking for 2 to 7 more volunteers to help out with the project. We need the following tools if you've got them:
o   Chain saws.
o   Bark scrapers.
o   30’ measuring tapes.
o   Shovels.
o   Pick Axes.
o   Framing and heavy hammers.
o   Pry bars (6').
o   2-Ton Come-A-Long.
o   Sledge hammers.
o   Heavy pliers.
o   Heavy wire or bolt cutters.
o   First Aid kits.
o   Generator.
o   Drill – 1/2”.
o   Drill bits – 1 1/2” by 12”.
o   Small bow saws.

I think Garry has access to the bark scrapers, generator, drill, and bits but I won't know until I talk to him. I think he's hiding out in the bush somewhere....

I'm not 100% sure if the TFA will go through in time. I know that we've been able to sign the truck and skid steer out.

You'll need to bring your own food and refreshments. I know its lame but I'm not going to have the time to pull that together.

Start time will be 8:30. Please park on the side of the road by trail intersection 121. The bridge is 200 meters from that intersection. I need to keep that part of the trail open.

Thanks,

kln

kln

« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2007, 12:31:57 PM »
Looks like there is only going to be two of us out there on Saturday. If you've got the time we could use the help.

http://www.4wheeler.ca/index.php?showtopic=33450&hl=

Offline Bnine

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Sticky Fingers
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2007, 01:49:54 PM »
Im sorry I am busy in the shop this weekend or I would be there.

Come guys, step up and give a hand. Lot of guys missed our fencing project in Mclean. Grab some cold pops and make a day of it on this one instead.

Thanks KLN for the work you are doing.
My Mechanic Calgary
Mobile Auto Care
403-483-1083
[email protected]

Offline Spinalguy

• Talks waaay too much!
    • http://www.spinalguy.com
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2007, 02:55:22 PM »
Kevin, thanks for stepping up. i work Saturday and have a bike and jeep that need mechanical repairs.
sent from my old school rotary dial phone.

Offline TJ54

• Talks waaay too much!
    • http://community.webshots.com/user/tj54jeep
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2007, 05:26:42 PM »
Hi Kevin, wish i could help but I'm on the way out of town for the annual family vacation.
Like Bnine said, it would be nice to see more people helping out, Thanks to people like Kevin, Blair, and of course Dave Dunlop we are making headway with SRD by taking on some of these projects.
Just in case you do not know, the Garry that KLN is reffering to is with the quad squad. Garry is one of the good guys, he is always stepping up to help out on all multiuser projects.
I know alot of people are frustrated, but #1 the gov't nearly always works slowly and #2 if we do nothing then we will lose the trails for sure.
I used to have an open mind but my brains kept falling out.

Offline SOMETHING WICKED

• Budget Lift
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2007, 09:36:21 PM »
Took my bike for a little ride out to see how it was going. Not too bad for only 3 people being there! I wound up helping out for a few hours. It would be nice to see a few more people step up once in a while. And by the way...........that is a multi-user trail! Even though it is a very short one!

Offline Gearhead

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2007, 09:18:00 AM »
Some of us work saturdays.

kln

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2007, 06:01:55 PM »
What needs to be done now is to place a bunch of rock on the enbankments underneath the bridge on both sides. Garry and I have tentatively set a date of Aug 11th. I'm going to contact him this weekend to see if its confirmed. We also want to do the same thing on the first Hunter Valley bridge that was put in, but just on one side. We'll do that at the same time. We could use 15 - 20 people and some extra trucks.

Some pictures pre and post repair.

Offline SwampSinger

• CJA Members
  • Talks waaay too much!
  • Baconator
    • mmmmm-bacon
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2007, 08:26:44 PM »
Great work guys... :D

on the 11th a bunch of us (about 10 rigs +) are out that week-end near Edmonton area for a club trip. We are leaving the 9th and coming back the 12-13th. Some of us are even coming back the 20th (like me).

CJA members .. I know everybody is busy during the summer but please take some time to help. We are a bigger club with 50+ members...

GET INVOLVE!!! we always see the same 10-15 people at the projects and clean ups. If you have not been to a clean up/ project take your head out of your butt and DO SOMETHING PLEASE!!!!

Sorry to be so blunt guys... but why would you join an organization if you don't get involve with the club or the sport?

again... Kevin and Gary need help out there. If you are not coming with us on the trip.... go help! Make it a day out with the familly (a picnic). It's beautiful out there in Waiporous.  

Thank you in advance

Dom

Offline rws

• CJA Members
  • Talks waaay too much!
  • Stump Grinder
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2007, 09:26:08 AM »
I may be able to help on Aug 11.  Who is Gary and how do I contact him?

Offline SwampSinger

• CJA Members
  • Talks waaay too much!
  • Baconator
    • mmmmm-bacon
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2007, 10:58:37 AM »
Quote from: "rws"
I may be able to help on Aug 11.  Who is Gary and how do I contact him?

Thank you Ron for your continious efforts in the trail projects.  :D  

You da man!!! :D

Gary is from the Calgary Quad Squad... just PM Kevin (kln) he'll help.

:D  :D  :D

Offline TJ54

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2007, 01:23:48 PM »
I should be available on the 11th. I shall put it on my calendar, hopefully the boss won't change my plans  :) .

Offline SwampSinger

• CJA Members
  • Talks waaay too much!
  • Baconator
    • mmmmm-bacon
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2007, 02:54:01 PM »
Quote from: "TJ54"
I should be available on the 11th. I shall put it on my calendar, hopefully the boss won't change my plans  :) .

Thanks Guys!! :D

kln

« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2007, 08:13:46 AM »
The truck and skidsteer have been booked for the 11th. I'll post where we'll be meeting later this week. Now all we need is some bodies.

Thanks guys. I appreciate it. Now, how about the rest of you?  :P

PS: Thanks for pinning this.

Offline TJ54

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2007, 06:08:35 PM »
Just thought I would bump this now we are closer to the date.

Unfortunately some family stuff came up so I will not be able to make this weekend. It would be great if some other people would step up to help Tim with this project
Ian