Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: 93 Grand Cherokee questions for the cherokee folk  (Read 4431 times)

Offline Spinalguy

• Talks waaay too much!
    • http://www.spinalguy.com
93 Grand Cherokee questions for the cherokee folk
« on: October 27, 2007, 12:25:45 PM »
i have an opportunity to buy a 93 Grand.
Loaded.
NEVER offroad.
No Rust.
Interior leather...mint
V8
200,000 kms
Fresh tires
Fresh lubricants everywhere.

How much should i pay and be happy?

Thanks
Tom 8)
sent from my old school rotary dial phone.

Offline dunl

• Talks waaay too much!
    • Red Deer Jeep Packrats
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2007, 12:46:03 PM »
$3500 at most with the km's.

People are dropping them like pigeon turds right now.
`48 CJ2A, `54 CJ3B, `97 TJ, and 03 WJ...batting close to .500 when it comes to jeep models owned vs. jeep models created.....
Red Deer Jeep Packrats
www.reddeerjeep.com

Offline cLAY

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2007, 03:23:03 PM »
Typically with mine if I pay less than $70 at the pump for the measly 500km it went I'm usually not sucidal.  :P

Oh you mean purchase price? Yeah $3500 would be a good asking price, the kms are low for that year, but I'd try to negotiate down to $2800 anyway, but then I won't buy something unless I'm getting a deal. :roll:

For comparsion I bought a '93 GC LTD with the upcountry package last summer for $1700 but it had been offraod, the paint was flacking, tires worn out, some dings, needed some minor work... hmmm what was I thinking?!?! Ha ha jsut kidding.

I have another '93 GC that I'm thinking about selling. Also a LTD V8, with around 250,000kms. Its got some minor rust and the interior is fair to good. If I do sell it I'd ask $2300.

Just a note the trannies on these units can be troublesome, installing a shift kit solves most of the issues in most cases and makes the unit perform MUCH better. I would factor about $200-$300 into your deal to get it done.

'93 ZJ, 5.2L, lifted/locked/36s..<gone>
'98 5.9er 4.10s,locked,LA,WJ knuckles

Offline cablesmurf

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Relapsed Jeep Addict
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2007, 10:24:12 PM »
Ditto on the tranny issue. Also, watch for the cv joints in the dana 30...they are troublesome...look at the boots on the wires for the door locks and windows...they get pinched and tend to sever the wires. You'd notice the power windows working on and off. That year had problems with paint flakeing, and make sure the cooling system is clean and not leaking. And lastly...the tranny/t-case seal is also something to watch for...not an expensive part, but quite time consuming to change...a shop will charge big $$$.
Hi, my name is Dan and I'm a Jeepaholic

Trouble Maker

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2007, 01:41:38 AM »
Since it has the V8 it will also have the 249 t-case with the Viscous Coupler inside that can be expensive to change when it starts to die. To check it go for a short drive to warm up the t-case and then do some low speed figure eights on dry pavement to see if it is starting to fail, if it is it will crow hop really bad. Not that had to change the VC but a lot of people opt to change it out for the 242 or 231 t-case instead.

The 249 is a great t-case for a daily driver as it requires no driver input to engage 4wd, perfect soccer mom t-case.

The 46RH trans used with the V8 from 93-95 is a very good trans especially when equipped with a shift kit.

Offline Spinalguy

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2007, 07:59:45 AM »
Thanks guys.
i think i will pass on this as my wife wants something that gets GOOD gas mileage. And i want something i do not have to spend another 1-2 g's on repairs.
Tom

Offline dunl

• Talks waaay too much!
    • Red Deer Jeep Packrats
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2007, 09:02:27 AM »
Quote from: "cLAY"
For comparsion I bought a '93 GC LTD with the upcountry package last summer for $1700 but it had been offraod, the paint was flacking, tires worn out, some dings, needed some minor work... hmmm what was I thinking?!?! Ha ha jsut kidding.

Ha ha....funny guy.  :lol:

If you want something with GOOD mileage, I dunno what you're going to buy without going diesel something or other, or small gas vehicle. Depends on what you're looking for, too.

If you want something big and diesel, maybe find a Cummins truck or one of those old Mercedes "panzer" sedans that I'm so fond of (all of mine are longer than the ZJ was :lol:). If it's strictly mileage, a VW Jetta TDI can't be beat, and the turbos are pretty zippy. If it's gas you like, hard to find GOOD mileage without going down to a car. Forget about hybrids.....any mileage savings are taken off the top with the outrageous price of the vehicle.
`48 CJ2A, `54 CJ3B, `97 TJ, and 03 WJ...batting close to .500 when it comes to jeep models owned vs. jeep models created.....
Red Deer Jeep Packrats
www.reddeerjeep.com

Offline 4low

• Budget Lift
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2007, 06:42:07 PM »
After much research and searching for a small SUV I convinced my mom to get a Suzuki Vitara.....one trim level down from a grand vitara, 4 cyl, auto.
Get's good mileage for a 4x4, drives great, comfortable.

At least go check one out and see if it's something that fits your lifestyle.

I like it, and I know she does too, better crash rating than a blazer and I believe a santa fe.

anyway, my 2 cents
BTL WGN

><>

Offline Spinalguy

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2007, 06:49:00 PM »
Quote from: "dunl"
Quote from: "cLAY"

Ha ha....funny guy.  :lol:

If you want something with GOOD mileage, I dunno what you're going to buy without going diesel something or other, or small gas vehicle. Depends on what you're looking for, too.

If you want something big and diesel, maybe find a Cummins truck or one of those old Mercedes "panzer" sedans that I'm so fond of (all of mine are longer than the ZJ was :lol:). If it's strictly mileage, a VW Jetta TDI can't be beat, and the turbos are pretty zippy. If it's gas you like, hard to find GOOD mileage without going down to a car. Forget about hybrids.....any mileage savings are taken off the top with the outrageous price of the vehicle.

It definitely does not have to be a 4x4.
My concern is that it is reliable and gets better mpg than her 4cyl jeep that she sold.
She would like something 'kewl' 8) WE have (err...i have a 6g limit).
Maybe go to the auction?
Honda with low kms?
VW?
???

Thanks?
Tom :lol:

Offline dunl

• Talks waaay too much!
    • Red Deer Jeep Packrats
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2007, 08:24:03 PM »
Quote from: "Spinalguy"

She would like something 'kewl' 8) WE have (err...i have a 6g limit).

Too bad about the limit....some nice RHD Hilux's around for about $8500.

Could probably score a Mark III gen Jetta TDI for that price...like this one...

Although $6g could get you a fairly nice looking Mercedes.....

[/img]
Red Deer Jeep Packrats
www.reddeerjeep.com

Offline Spinalguy

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2007, 09:45:05 PM »
Darcy,
Thanks for the link via pm.

Mercedes? Do tell more 8)

Offline dunl

• Talks waaay too much!
    • Red Deer Jeep Packrats
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2007, 10:42:27 PM »
Well, nice is in the eye of the beholder.....you could go classic like my silver 1980 300sd (super diesel, w116 chassis):

Or something more modern, like this one, similar to my black 1982 300SD (super diesel):

It's bigger brother, the 300SDL (super long diesel):

Maybe smaller, a later 80's 300d (w124):

Or the compact, a 1988 190D:

Or maybe one of these, a 300CD (coupe diesel) a sporty coupe sedan (and rare as hen's teeth - I'll send you an email of someone who was selling one for around $5800 or so).

Any classifications you look at starting with a "w" (i.e. w126) is a chassis style, with different models built on that chassis ( like Cherokee and Comanche on the same chassis).

Easy and simple vehicles to work on, www.mercedesshop.com has tonnes of guys there who can tell you anything you need to know, and they're very reliable.  Great mileage, nothing like a new Jetta, but no slouches either.  Gassers are pigs, though.
Red Deer Jeep Packrats
www.reddeerjeep.com

Offline dunl

• Talks waaay too much!
    • Red Deer Jeep Packrats
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2007, 03:39:55 PM »
Edited to fix the pics.
Red Deer Jeep Packrats
www.reddeerjeep.com

Offline Spinalguy

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2007, 04:51:03 PM »
i like that 300CD 8)

i am looking at a 91 Mitsubishi Pajero turbo diesel :?:

Offline cLAY

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2007, 07:05:28 PM »
I thought you guys had a smart car?  :?:

'93 ZJ, 5.2L, lifted/locked/36s..<gone>
'98 5.9er 4.10s,locked,LA,WJ knuckles