Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: Garvin tire carrier  (Read 3811 times)

Offline RACKMAN

• That CB Yapper
Garvin tire carrier
« on: January 26, 2008, 10:34:49 PM »
Anyone running a Garvin tire carrier? I need honest feedback on this unit as it is one of a couple carriers I'm considering and as you all know, they are not cheap so I really would like to make the right choice. What do you like about it? What issues have you had? What do you not like about it? Thanks. On a side note...I'm definitely a Jeep addict...Here I am researching mods for a jeep I haven't even found to buy YET. :-[

RACKMAN
2005 Jeep LJ Rubicon. 2012 Ram 2500 Cummins 4X4 Crewcab.

Offline bae146

• UberWheeler
Re: Garvin tire carrier
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2008, 10:59:09 PM »
Buy Spinalguy's tj and you wont need a tire carrier!!!!!!

Offline Rookie

• CJA Members
  • That CB Yapper
  • build it, break it, rebuild it better
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2008, 11:22:56 PM »
Anyone running a Garvin tire carrier? I need honest feedback on this unit as it is one of a couple carriers I'm considering and as you all know, they are not cheap so I really would like to make the right choice. What do you like about it? What issues have you had? What do you not like about it? Thanks. On a side note...I'm definitely a Jeep addict...Here I am researching mods for a jeep I haven't even found to buy YET. :-[

RACKMAN

Pm Toys he has one on his Rubi

He told me he doesn't like the bolt style latch (pull pin unscrew bs) but it could be converted to a cam style latch :)
TJ with some stuff

Offline RACKMAN

• That CB Yapper
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2008, 12:01:34 AM »
Buy Spinalguy's tj and you wont need a tire carrier!!!!!!
No...definitely not interested in spending $30,000 on an 03 vehicle, plus I have very different build plans in mind.

RACKMAN

Offline SwampSinger

• CJA Members
  • Talks waaay too much!
  • Baconator
    • mmmmm-bacon
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2008, 09:50:05 AM »
Justin...I have one on my XJ . It's made "ruff and tuff" ... I like it... I have no issue with it and it's been on my Jeep for about a year. It's made to carry a 33"  size tire. I had a 37" tire on it since it's been on the Heep.

I've heard people complaining about the latch for the swing arm of the tire carrier... that's what Toys (Murray) disliked about his. It's a screw type latch... I don't mind it. It takes longer to open but it's super solid.

bottom like ..so far so go... it's simple and super solid... Me LIKY!!! ;D

I hope that helps

Offline BrokenAxle

• That CB Yapper
    • Broken Axle home page
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2008, 09:55:54 AM »
i've installed many of them.  i also don't really like the screw latch, but like dom said it is solid.  the other thing i've found is that the hinge seizes up.  it isn't a bearing and there are no channels for the grease to go through.  (unless they've changed it recently...)  i've ground a few channels for the grease and it does seem to solve that issue, but a bearing would still be much better.

Offline RACKMAN

• That CB Yapper
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2008, 10:22:36 AM »
Thanks for the info guys....BrokenAxle, I had no idea it wasn't a bearing...so is it some type of bushing set-up?

RACKMAN

Offline Waytec

• Talks waaay too much!
  • not all there
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2008, 10:55:09 AM »
I what I plan on doing one day once the funds allow for it, is I'm going to buy a Warren rear bumper with out the tier carrier and then build my own tier carrier so it will be excitedly what I want. It may be a suggestion for you if you have access to fab equipment.
Why does your Jeep say Toyota on it?
The obstacle is the path.

Offline SwampSinger

• CJA Members
  • Talks waaay too much!
  • Baconator
    • mmmmm-bacon
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2008, 11:25:28 AM »
Thanks for the info guys....BrokenAxle, I had no idea it wasn't a bearing...so is it some type of bushing set-up?

RACKMAN

Yep.. it's a poly bushing... mine greases well... I grease it when I have the tire carrier close and open. I grease up all my nipple  quite fequently..., ON THE OL' HEEP (you dirty bastards!  ;D) ...

It's been opening and closing well so far

Tribal Jeep

« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2008, 11:44:02 AM »
This is it right here eh? http://www.quadratec.com/products/12043_311_07.htm

Have you found a better price than this? let me know, its also on my wish list.

Offline Spinalguy

• Talks waaay too much!
    • http://www.spinalguy.com
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2008, 12:03:27 PM »
No...definitely not interested in spending $30,000 on an 03 vehicle, plus I have very different build plans in mind.

RACKMAN

And as i have stated, this jeep is not for someone like rackman who will spend no more than 10 on a jeep and build it himself to his likings. He like others love the 'build' part. My jeep is for the guy that will spend 21 on a stock rubi with very low kms and for 9 extra, Rackman nor anyone else could build it out even close to what mine has. That is a fact for this 03 jeep ::)
sent from my old school rotary dial phone.

Offline RACKMAN

• That CB Yapper
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2008, 01:25:43 PM »
Just a heads up Spinalguy...I've already come across 3 stock 03 Rubi's for sale that were $17,500, $17,500, and $16,000 also with low kms. I contacted all of the owners to see it they were firm on their price and all indicated that they were open to offers. In the end, I made a decision to stay under $13,000 for a new project jeep base to work off of. I'm not looking to start a big debate about realistic pricing, but the bottom line is modded jeeps as with most vehicles are depreciating  assets  and as such, significant money cannot be recovered from the sale of such vehicles. Take my 98 TJ for example...Replacement cost at the time of sale was $50,000...I had it listed for $13,500 and didn't even get that.  Your jeep is nice Spinalguy, but if I'm not mistaken you are still running the stock weak unit bearings on the front axle and the weak semi-floating rear axle...So the buyer of your jeep still has expenses to deal with on top of your asking price. Front hub conversions and rear full float kits are not cheap.

RACKMAN

Offline RACKMAN

• That CB Yapper
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2008, 01:34:06 PM »
Tribal Jeep...is that a US price and company? I priced one out at National and they said it was $1000.00...maybe NSOR sells them too.

Dom, thanks for the info, but now I have scary mental pics of your nipples stuck in my head!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

RACKMAN

Offline Spinalguy

• Talks waaay too much!
    • http://www.spinalguy.com
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2008, 03:41:34 PM »
Justin,
i have never said anything negative about your sales of ANYTHING on this site.
i am simply stating that you can not build my jeep for 30 using a stock rubi. period.
 Don't tell me about  your opinions ofWEAK parts, there are many built rubis that have stood the test of time. There is no need for replacement of front or rear. It is solid. i would go Dana 60 before i would touch the front or rear.
So, keep your petty bs to yourself.
Again, i was commenting that my jeep is NOT for you (compliment), but you will have more than 30 into anything you build to my specs. 
Don't upset me off by taking shots at my jeep.
Thanks

sent from my old school rotary dial phone.

Tribal Jeep

« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2008, 04:18:03 PM »
Tribal Jeep...is that a US price and company? I priced one out at National and they said it was $1000.00...maybe NSOR sells them too.

yea, the company is Quadratech. After much looking into prices and companies both US and Can, I am going with these guys as they seem to have better pricing most of the time and have almost all parts I am looking for. I find Canadian companies, no names, pricing is absolutely ridiculous more often than not; even after S&H. Though I am not a fan of having to go south of the border, for the big stuff, I cant justify spending big money here when it seems too overpriced.