Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: Why is it so hard...  (Read 5811 times)

Offline Elsifer

• Talks waaay too much!
Why is it so hard...
« on: May 04, 2008, 10:47:04 PM »
To find a decent sized suv or light truck, with good gearing, a manual tranny, not right hand drive, and is diesel????

I don't need to extoll the virtues and benefits of running a diesel, those who have and know, will agree with me.
So why do I have to look at a fullsize 1ton pickup, or some weird import with lefthanded shifters??

Don't even mention the 80's tempo or ranger.

Where are the continental european imports? Why have the carmakers pushed dumbarse hybrids with lawnmower gas motors?

Where is the production midsize car, that has a biodiesel certification on it, that also happens to be a hybrid?

Why has Subaru not brought the boxer diesel to north america? http://www.boxerdiesel.com
5.6L/100km and more torque and slightly less hp  than their wrx sti gas mill!

Need I go on?

So, where can I find this mythical beast of an oil-burning, rattling machine that is music to my ears, in a medium sized suv? I'd prefer not to have a lefthanded shifter, but I suppose I can suffer driving on the wrong side of the vehicle.
VA6CPL
Jeepless....

Offline hps4evr

• Administrator
  • Talks waaay too much!
Re: Why is it so hard...
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2008, 11:20:09 PM »
the best vehicles are not bought... they are built... 1.9L VW diesel in a samurai is a popular swap. the nissan in line 6 diesel has been done. cummins 4bt can go in anything. heck find a late '80s-early '90s dodge truck with the 5.9 diesel, sure its heavy, but bolt it in, hook up 12 volt power and go. that engine needs next to nothing to make it work in anything. if you cant make any of those happen, ride a bicycle, i do;)
YJ=Y’all Jealous

Offline FiEND

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Wrecking Ball
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2008, 11:49:13 PM »
1Wide2High
ILV2FRT
'97 TJ [sold]
'17 JK Rubicon

Offline RACKMAN

• That CB Yapper
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2008, 09:05:31 AM »
Just before I bought my new project jeep in feb this year, I was sooooooo very close to buying Toyota BJ74 or BJ70 from the late 80's. They are awesome indestructable 4x4s', with diesel engines, strong ladder frames, solid axles front and rear, removable tops, and some even had factory cable locking diffs front and rear. The downside....right-hand drive...I decided I could live with that, but the big downside for me was that they have  24volt electrical systems not 12 volt. While some people think that 24volt systems are fine, even superior in some ways, I just didn't want to deal with the extra difficulty getting 24volt parts, everything from light bulbs to alternators, and the more complicated boosting procedures using someone's 12volt vehicle. BUT, if you can live with those 2 issues, they are great vehicles. If I had the money to have both my 02 TJ project vehicle and another toy vehicle, it would be the BJ74.

RACKMAN 
2005 Jeep LJ Rubicon. 2012 Ram 2500 Cummins 4X4 Crewcab.

Dragonmaster

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2008, 10:57:35 AM »
IF your not looking for something to offroad in the Liberty's had a diesel in them for a couple of years in 2002 or 2003.  The new grand cherokee also has a diesel option.

Offline SmilinVamp

• Budget Lift
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2008, 11:19:09 AM »
Part of the problem is that North American Diesel needs more refinement.  Their excuse is that NA diesel has more sulfur content than Europe.  The vehicles don't pass emissions in NA.  - That's the excuse anyway... this was one of the main reasons the Wrangler JK didn't get the Diesel option here...

Offline Elsifer

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2008, 02:22:42 PM »
I'm not looking to wheel it. Well, not hardcore anyways. Some light 4x4 use on a limited basis.

And as a daily driver, I suppose I could get used to a left hand transmission shifter, either manual or automagic. Though it might take me a while to remember which door to get into.
But I'm not looking to spend 50+ g's to get into a new Cherokee, or Mercedes. A used Libby would be a great score tho.

I've been looking at the autotrader, and finding lots of rhd mitsu's, toy's and nissans. I'm warming up to the idea of a civilized 4x4 with a sub 3L diesel, and with 4x4. There are some neato rigs out there to be had.

Now if only the fast food drive thru would get a speaker on the other side...

Oh, Al, you need to get more sleep. That or stop posting stuff about your pet lemur. Leave the poor bugger sleeping.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2008, 02:25:29 PM by Elsifer »
VA6CPL
Jeepless....

Offline 01sahara

• Talks waaay too much!
Super Winch, 33" MT, 2 1/2" lift , CB, Flat Fender
http://melaman2.com/cartoons/singles/george-jungle.html

Offline Spinalguy

• Talks waaay too much!
    • http://www.spinalguy.com
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2008, 02:53:18 PM »
If you have to, i would look at the Pajero.
It is 1/2 to 1/3 the cost of a Landcruiser.
Diesel
4.88 gears
LSD f&R
33's fit with no mods.
12 volt
AWD, 2WD, 4 hi and Lo.

sent from my old school rotary dial phone.

Offline FiEND

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Wrecking Ball
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2008, 04:20:48 PM »
after looking at the pajero, i second the liberty ;-)  had diesel to 2005 i believe
1Wide2High
ILV2FRT
'97 TJ [sold]
'17 JK Rubicon

Offline Elsifer

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2008, 07:15:49 AM »
Look at a Mitsu Delica.
http://www.delica.ca
Now that screams SEKSEY all over it!
And I want one, seriously.

VA6CPL
Jeepless....

Offline dunl

• Talks waaay too much!
    • Red Deer Jeep Packrats
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2008, 08:31:17 AM »
`48 CJ2A, `54 CJ3B, `97 TJ, and 03 WJ...batting close to .500 when it comes to jeep models owned vs. jeep models created.....
Red Deer Jeep Packrats
www.reddeerjeep.com

Offline Bnine

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Sticky Fingers
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2008, 04:15:10 PM »
I'd prefer it stayed that way. The popularity of deisel has already driven its prices through the roof.
My Mechanic Calgary
Mobile Auto Care
403-483-1083
[email protected]

Offline Fredduck

• That CB Yapper
  • RIDE ON
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2008, 04:37:11 PM »
I'd prefer it stayed that way. The popularity of deisel has already driven its prices through the roof.
True story on the fuel price. As for the 4BT being bolt in; it is and it isn't. After you fab motor mounts and measure for clearances it's kind of bolt in. But it sure is tall, another issue depending on what your putting it in. don't forget the torque of a diesel, useally 2 ft/lbs per 1 hp.
In the next few years you will see the big 3 come out with small cube, light weight diesels for their sport utes and half tons. The only problem with that is the emission standards they will have to meet. The DPT or sdiesel particulate trap shoots raw fuel into the exhaust to burn diesel soot, that fuel comes out of your tank and effects your mileage. European diesels run a very clean fuel and the exhaust is further cleaned up using euria (fertilizer). Diesel is the most popular fuel for vehicles in the world, the NA auto makers as just slow here, don't forget besides Asia the big 3 own most of the manufacturing of autos in the world
3.9 CTD - 7000R4  NP241c SSYE, Dana 44.  9 inch, 4.10's  and 37's

Offline TJ54

• Talks waaay too much!
    • http://community.webshots.com/user/tj54jeep
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2008, 09:55:58 PM »
get one of the new diesel grand cherokee's, you're making the big bucks now :)
I used to have an open mind but my brains kept falling out.