Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: Please slow down!!  (Read 10537 times)

Offline WhiteOut

• Talks waaay too much!
Please slow down!!
« on: August 14, 2008, 11:29:30 PM »
First off, this is not directed to specific people but really everyone in Calgary.  A few of you guys know I work construction, mostly doing infrastructure work (roads and bridges).  We understand that everyone has a place to go and wants to be on time, but if you are going through a construction site, please slow down.  It may seem like a hassle but for our work to be done safely it helps if everyone drives the 50km/hour limit that is set.  In places where we work just a few feet from the road (16 Ave North) please try, we had an accident just last night because a couple of drivers were speeding and had to slam on their brakes to stop for our flagman.

Also, HI to all the modded Jeeps I see drive by all day.  Seem more than ever >25 or so today alone.

Offline Tinkerer

• UberWheeler
    • My (OLD OLD OLD) website
Re: Please slow down!!
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2008, 05:53:09 AM »
Not aimed at you in particular either, but road crews in general (including tow truck operators, other emergency services etc.)... this is a shared responsibility... please don't be lazy putting out safety devices.

I write this as an ex tow truck operator and ex EMT.  I can't count how many times I have had to jam on brakes or have had traffic snarled because someone couldn't walk back the proper distance for the road speed (at least 100 metres) and put out a cone or a lane closure sign to give drivers advanced warning. 

The one day, a guy was unloading equipment in a 60 KM zone in the inside lane with *ONE* cone about 1 metre from his truck.  People weren't noticing that he was stopped and just about hitting him... he even looked nervous, but didn't even seem to consider putting the cone (or more than one, what a concept) further back.  The truck in front of me did a california lane change at the last second, leaving me doing 60KPH mere feet from his truck.  Luckily, I have good reflexes and brakes and I'm not scared to use them, but I do think the back tires came off the pavement.

That's just one recent example, but it's pretty common.

Anyhoo, like I said, you guys probably aren't in that category and yeah, drivers are pretty "me me me me me" stupidified...   lately, I swear they opened an insane asylum, let everyone out and handed out auto keys at the door. 

Let's all work together to not kill peoples dads, moms, husbands, wives etc. that are doing US a SERVICE, K?

2004 TJ Rubicon 2.5" Cage Puck Lift
LT285/75R15 Trxus MT's
ARB Bullbar and Warn XD9000i winch
Garvin Wilderness Swingaway Rack
Cobra 75WXST CB, Yaesu FT8900 Ham
VE6PDB - usually on VE6RYC

TheCaptain

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2008, 08:36:38 AM »
Agreed.  Plus you save gas.   8)
More to burn for the weekend trails!   ;D

Offline Matt4x4

• UberWheeler
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2008, 06:53:34 PM »
The construction workers put up a ton of signs, but dont bother to bring them down when they arent working.

MB.Muffin

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2008, 07:34:40 PM »
I agree and I disagree...

When out in the open, nothing blocking them - Workers are in danger and traffic must abide by the speed limit.

I disagree when there is a large concrete barrier between the workers and traffic... you'd have to be something stupid to hit a construction worker behind the barrier.. and if the construction worker happened to decide to pass the barrier then its up to the construction worker to ensure his own safety (ie.look for traffic before crossing). If after that the construction worker gets hit.. then the driver that hit the worker deserves every form of penalty he/she receives.

I'm sorry if this offends anyone. Just my opinion.

Offline WhiteOut

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2008, 01:20:39 PM »
I do agree that there is an onus on both the construction workers and drivers to look out for one another.  When there is only a set of cones and wooden barricades separating us from traffic it is more dangerous than when we have the concrete barriers set up.  But those concrete barriers are no anchored to the ground, I have seen on several occasions a vehicle hit them and the barrier move.

Matt: what do you mean by not removing the signs when we are not working?  Do you mean not removing them at night if we working the day or vice versa?

Offline w squared

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Keamy Hungry!
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2008, 11:05:31 PM »
I think what Matt is getting at is areas where no work is going on, yet signs are still left up. Some crews seem to be good about covering/turning over/laying down their signs when work has finished for the day/week/whatever...but others seem to put them up and leave them up regardless of what is or isn't happening adjacent to the roadway. It is these crews that are careless about the signs that contribute to the problem of motorists not slowing down.

That combined with the ignorance, stupidity, and carelessness of many motorists. I have a very low opinion of the where the lowest common denominator of the driving public rests.
I followed a rainbow out to a garage and found a leprichaun. The rainbow ended in a potted cactus on his porch, but there was no gold :(

Offline Spinalguy

• Talks waaay too much!
    • http://www.spinalguy.com
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2008, 08:39:55 AM »
Ban cell phones and any form of communication while driving and than motorists could pay attention to their surroundings >:(
sent from my old school rotary dial phone.

MB.Muffin

« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2008, 03:33:32 PM »
Ban cell phones and any form of communication while driving and than motorists could pay attention to their surroundings >:(

This is so true... I avoid talking on my cell phone in the car unless I have a hands free set.... even then im distracted.. its just safer to put the phones away and focus on driving ...

Offline Matt4x4

• UberWheeler
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2008, 05:52:38 PM »
Yes thats what I meant squared

I see good companies and I see bad companies, see good & bad drivers

I just hate it when I am doing the posted 50 kmh limit in the construction zones and I see these punks blazing past me doing 100 or more, even if they arent working and the signs are up I still obey the law. I would say 75% of people speed threw construction zones. What they should do is quadruple fines and triple demerits, make it real severe for the law breakers. Anything over 50kmh the posted limit is dangerous driving, subject to immediate impound of vehicle.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2008, 05:58:17 PM by Matt4x4 »

Offline Tinkerer

• UberWheeler
    • My (OLD OLD OLD) website
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2008, 06:30:18 PM »
Hmm.. and with dangerous driving, a criminal offense, the car then gets auctioned under proceeds of crime legislation... but wait, they weren't making any proceeds other than time...

Doubt that will ever happen, but one has to question the ability of people to make critical decisions in other areas of their lives based upon the ones they make behind the wheel.  But then, I have had the dubious honour of seeing the consequences of these decisions many times over the years, both as an EMT and civilian, so I'm pretty umm... opinionated about the subject!

2004 TJ Rubicon 2.5" Cage Puck Lift
LT285/75R15 Trxus MT's
ARB Bullbar and Warn XD9000i winch
Garvin Wilderness Swingaway Rack
Cobra 75WXST CB, Yaesu FT8900 Ham
VE6PDB - usually on VE6RYC

MB.Muffin

« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2008, 08:01:16 AM »
Yes thats what I meant squared

I see good companies and I see bad companies, see good & bad drivers

I just hate it when I am doing the posted 50 kmh limit in the construction zones and I see these punks blazing past me doing 100 or more, even if they arent working and the signs are up I still obey the law. I would say 75% of people speed threw construction zones. What they should do is quadruple fines and triple demerits, make it real severe for the law breakers. Anything over 50kmh the posted limit is dangerous driving, subject to immediate impound of vehicle.

That will one day backfire in your face. You'll be in a rush just a couple ticks over the speed limit and you'll regret ever suggesting such an idea. Cops are not here to be your friend, whether you're a model driver/citizen does NOT matter if you break the law you pay. Maybe you say "i'll never break the law" but trust me somewhere down the road you will be in a hurry to get to work for that important meeting or whatever... and you will speed... and the cops will ticket you... So when you speed through that construction zone by accident and get pulled over and the cop hands you a ticket thats 500 some dollars for only a couple ticks over... and you lose your vehicle... you're really gonna slap yourself for it. I wouldn't say tripling demerits and quadrupling fines will do it.. they will continue to speed and you'll pay the consequences of your ideas because of "accidental speeding" ... No matter what you put in place someone, somewhere will speed.. why set yourself up?

Offline Matt4x4

• UberWheeler
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2008, 10:37:52 PM »
funny stuff muffin, I havent gotten a speedin ticket in 10 years or so

its good to know that you speed all the time and that you dont care about safety at all!!!!!!!!!

MB.Muffin

« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2008, 08:45:14 AM »
funny stuff muffin, I havent gotten a speedin ticket in 10 years or so

its good to know that you speed all the time and that you dont care about safety at all!!!!!!!!!

Thats funny.. I don't recall actually saying that I speed in there... wow.. do you need to go back to grade school to learn how to read? I said that will backfire in someones face when they decide to speed just once and i'll find it hilarious cause they brought it on themselves. That does not in any way state that I speed and don't care about safety. Get your facts straight.

Offline Matt4x4

• UberWheeler
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2008, 09:00:55 PM »
They should triple the insurance premium of anyone under 26. The roadways will be much safer.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2008, 09:12:10 PM by Matt4x4 »