Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: Nailed or not Nailed  (Read 8011 times)

Offline Rubi03 jef

• Talks waaay too much!
  • she never understands
Nailed or not Nailed
« on: April 18, 2009, 08:13:25 PM »

well you can decide for your self if i got out of this or not

took the top off today

driving down Glenmore this evening doing 120
got nailed and pulled over

so that means
 no mirrors
 no doors
 no top
broken windshield
broken right flasher
my tires stick out 5 " pass my fenders
i think thats about it

well the ticket was suspose to be $265 for doing 40km over the limit
well i got $124 fine
 plus he dropped it to only 100km in a 80km

oh and there wasnt any radar it was an estimated speeding ticket

i think i was pretty luck that he didnt nail me for anything else  :D
04 rubicon <4'' X series RC lift, 1.25'' RC body lift, 1'' RC MML, CV rear drive shaft,  Stubby front bumper, CB,35 MTZ" ,Hi Lifter 54'',LED tail lights , flat fenders, LED front Flasher, half doors, Light force spots, and CDN M101 custom Military trailer

Offline jandh

• UberWheeler
Re: Nailed or not Nailed
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2009, 08:27:12 PM »
I'd say you got away with it - but I would still try to fight the ticket because i'm a cheap A$$

:D
1991 YJ

Offline dac

• That CB Yapper
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2009, 08:47:48 PM »
I believe 30 over the limit is considered dangerous driving.  I vote  "dude you weren't nailed" ;D
This is not 'Nam, this is wheeling.  There are rules.

Offline slimbeam

• UberWheeler
  • 4" RE,3"body,35"rubber,dana 44 rear,sye,KEW winch
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2009, 08:55:45 PM »
I'm thinking you a lucky boy,  how many points did you get that's the part that hurts at insurance renewal time
I started out with nothing and so far I have most of it left

Offline WhiteOut

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2009, 12:53:32 AM »
No top and no doors is BS, TJ's are able to take them off as a factory "setting".  The flares you are not gonna be able to get away with, take a picture of the windshield since it sounds like BS as well id its about the same as when I was with you.

To me it sounds like he knew he couldnt get you for 120KM/h so he made stuff up, I'm almost 100% positive having no top or doors isnt illegal.  Fight it.

BTW, good to see that you joined up, I was gonna start bugging you about that. ;D
« Last Edit: April 19, 2009, 12:56:05 AM by fraserb1986 »

Offline dunl

• Talks waaay too much!
    • Red Deer Jeep Packrats
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2009, 12:56:56 AM »
No top and no doors is BS, TJ's are able to take them off as a factory "setting".  The flares you are not gonna be able to get away with, take a picture of the windshield since it sounds like BS as well id its about the same as when I was with you.

To me it sounds like he knew he couldnt get you for 120KM/h so he made stuff up, I'm almost 100% positive having no top or doors isnt illegal.  Fight it.

I'd like clarification on this as well.  I was told you legally need to have at least ONE side mirror and a rear view mirror at our last Packrats meeting....I said  no, because the mirrors on later jeeps come off with the doors.

So which is it?
`48 CJ2A, `54 CJ3B, `97 TJ, and 03 WJ...batting close to .500 when it comes to jeep models owned vs. jeep models created.....
Red Deer Jeep Packrats
www.reddeerjeep.com

Offline WhiteOut

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2009, 01:08:39 AM »
I think as long as you have one side mirror (drivers side) and the rearview you are allowed no doors.  Ticket for no top is completely retarded.

Offline dunl

• Talks waaay too much!
    • Red Deer Jeep Packrats
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2009, 01:13:04 AM »
So what....you drive your TJ with one door on?
`48 CJ2A, `54 CJ3B, `97 TJ, and 03 WJ...batting close to .500 when it comes to jeep models owned vs. jeep models created.....
Red Deer Jeep Packrats
www.reddeerjeep.com

Offline WhiteOut

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2009, 01:23:27 AM »
You can get a relocation bracket for the side view mirror.  Looking at the traffica safety act, i cant find anything prohibiting the removal of doors or tops on TJ's

Jeff, the ticket should state exactly the section of the Act you were ticketed for being in violation of, can you please post that?
« Last Edit: April 19, 2009, 01:25:22 AM by fraserb1986 »

Offline sn4cktime

• UberWheeler
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2009, 02:47:11 AM »
The mirrors you can get a ticket for, I'm not going to dig out the quote, but between the "Motor Vehicle Safety Act of Canada" and the "Traffic Safety Act of Alberta" you are required to have an external driver's and passenger side mirror, and if applicable (as in you have a window of some sort) a rear view mirror as well.  So if your mirrors are on the doors you removed, you need other mirrors or to relocate them.

I agree with the flare thing, kinda screwed there.  Technically even your bumper or mudflaps must come down to the center point of your tire to be CSA / DOT highway approved; pretty much all of us with lifted rigs or with bigger tires can get dinged on that.

As for the top that's a whole different ball game.  Jeeps (Wranglers) are considered a convertible "station wagon" (check your registration card) and can have the tops off or down.    So he was full of S there.  Like to see a cop give a convertible Mustang a ticket for having his top down.  I'd tell him to show me the law in a book, and then tell him to get lost.

The doors are more ambiguous.  I've looked in the acts, and talked to three traffic cops, one city cop in Van, one here and an RCMP that pulled me over for speeding on my way to Red Deer.  They all told me that if the doors are "made to be removed" (hence external hinges) then it's fine to pull them.  I removed the stickers on my visors that said the doors are not structurally required, I might get some new ones....  I've never been able to decipher anything out of the acts about it.  Only mentions of door latch types.  So I guess that's a case of how much a cop knows vs how much you can tell him he's wrong vs what an actual lawyer really knows.

Broken signal = screwed.

Broken windshield, I think is you can have a crack up to 2" as long as it's not in your sight lines at all.  So that'd be a judge's call on a photo I guess.

The speeding thing you might be able to weasel as he didn't "gun" you.  But at what he priced you at, paying a lawyer is likely going to cost more... maybe get an estimate from points or equivalent.

I'd just take the ticket, and crack the wallet.
----1988 AMC Eagle, mostly a flat XJ at this point----

Offline w squared

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Keamy Hungry!
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2009, 07:56:37 AM »
I'm with the rest of the folks here. From the research I've done, you're supposed to have mirrors. (or at least one external mirror?). Broken flasher - not good.

Windhshield - depends if there's a arack in your line of sight. My windshield is BRUTAL right now, but there's nothing in my line of sight, so as far as I know, I'm okay. Bear in mind that my knowledge of this comes more from the commercial truck side of things. I'll try to see if our transportation safety manager at work will share his knowledge with me on this.

Doors - They're designed to come off. They're only there for protection against the weather. Provided that you and all occupants had seatbelts on, and everything in the jeep is secured, I can't see any grounds for issuing a ticket.

Speed - as much as I hate to say, you may want to just take your lumps on this one.

By the way...how the $*(@ did you get those boggers up to 120?
I followed a rainbow out to a garage and found a leprichaun. The rainbow ended in a potted cactus on his porch, but there was no gold :(

Offline Rubi03 jef

• Talks waaay too much!
  • she never understands
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2009, 02:52:00 PM »
well he didnt say anything about all of the above .only the speeding

but he did take a look at the tires . but didnt say anything

so i think i got pretty lucky .   those boggers get up to 120 easy but you have to rev 4th out then shift to 5th  ;D

i was just stating that i think i got pretty lucky since all i got was a speeding ticket and it was reduced  not to  mention he didnt get my on radar

as for the mirrors you should have at least the driver side mirror
doors dont matter
roof doesnt matter
the front flasher could of been a fine
front bumper isnt realy a full bumper anymore
and the tires sticking out like they do well that could of been a fine

well the lift is going in next weekend hopefully the tires dont look like they stick out sooooooooooooooooooooooooo far
04 rubicon <4'' X series RC lift, 1.25'' RC body lift, 1'' RC MML, CV rear drive shaft,  Stubby front bumper, CB,35 MTZ" ,Hi Lifter 54'',LED tail lights , flat fenders, LED front Flasher, half doors, Light force spots, and CDN M101 custom Military trailer

Offline Rubi03 jef

• Talks waaay too much!
  • she never understands
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2009, 10:33:28 PM »
thanks hope i dont get pulled over again  i might not be so lucky next time

Offline hps4evr

• Administrator
  • Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2009, 10:17:13 PM »
how could they charge you anything if it was an "estimated" ticket? that estimate could have been 70kms/hr. or maybe this is something i havent heard of...
YJ=Y’all Jealous

Offline esi

• That CB Yapper
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2009, 10:29:48 PM »
If I had the time and a little more law knowledge I'd like to try to fight a estimated ticket in court by asking the officer to estimate the speed of a ball thrown by someone, with the officer estimating it and a speed gun giving the real speed. I probably wouldn't drive a jeep with no doors, broken tail, and tires that clear the body by a ways to the court house, I'm sure the officer would be outside waiting when I left winn or lose on the ticket.
Formerly of Boots & Boost Inc
Back farming and fabricating again.