Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: May Long Liquor Ban  (Read 7923 times)

Offline Bnine

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Sticky Fingers
Re: May Long Liquor Ban
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2010, 09:40:10 AM »
If it were civilized Tom, it wouldnt take 500 enforcement officers to keep the area from being destroyed.

I love it that so much of the government budget goes to wrangling drunks on the long weekends isntead of into pro active back country projects.

All so a few civilized folks can "imbibe in a little alchohol".

Pathetic
My Mechanic Calgary
Mobile Auto Care
403-483-1083
[email protected]

Offline Asia

• Budget Lift
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2010, 01:09:00 PM »
Bill there is always going to be a few bad apples in the barrel, some are idiots and some choose to be an idiot.  Thankfully they're a minority.  The actions of these idiots shouldn't dictate the liberties of the majority.  The vast majority of OHV users are civilized from my limited observations (I was camping/wheeling/cleaning up at McLean last May Long), maybe you are hanging out with the wrong crowd and have a different impression.  500 officiers at McLean?  I saw a note from one but I didn't see any in person, I'm sure there must have been some around.  Like some  of the previous posts implied, the vast majority of campers had some fun, drank some booze and still managed to act in a civilized manner,  and cleaned up their garbage when they left.  Things have gotten better, you wanted more enforcement to control the idiots/rowdies, there is more enforcement and word has probably gotten out that bad behviour won't be tolerated.  Yeah it too bad some people need to be policed to behave and it does cost for that enforcement.  The majority rules in a democratic society, we need more backcountry education, we need enforcement and the vast majority and the idiots get to imbibe in alittle/alot of alcohol on their May Long at McLean, if you break the rules you risk getting caught.  I'm OK with that.
near stock advocate

Offline Bnine

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Sticky Fingers
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2010, 01:33:30 PM »
Booze and gasoline doesnt mix. To me, the bans are backwards.

The off road areas should be booze banned, and the regular camping areas should be open for folks to "partake".

Why you would ban the majority of respectable campers from a glass of wine at their monitored campsite, yet allow back country motorized users to drink simply makes no sense.

I dont hang out with partiers Tom. Im a grown man with two children. The last thing you will ever find me doing is hanging out with a bunch a drunks. I had my fill growing up thanks.

Argue all you want. You will never convince me that the public display of drunkeness in a motorized off road area is a good idea. There are camp grounds, and group camps all over alberta set aside for that kind of thing.
My Mechanic Calgary
Mobile Auto Care
403-483-1083
[email protected]

Offline dac

• That CB Yapper
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2010, 02:11:01 PM »
The park bans are to try and stop the high school kids from demolishing the parks and being roudy around the regular campers/park customers.  Imagine owning a cabin at a park and every year dealing with a bunch of drunk kids on May long tearing up your park, keeping your kids up till 4 in the morning with yelling and load music.  It's not cool.  Unfortulately everyone gets hit by the ban, I'm all for it.  You're right though Bill, they should ban it in the off-road areas too.

It's like a game to these kids, see what they can do in one park.  If they get kicked out see if they can get into another one and continue on.  May long is their reason to go out and get carried away.

It was like that for years at the regional park my folks have a cabin at.  Last year it was more quiet though which was nice.  Didn't have to worry about someone trying to break into cabins to find more booze or kids racing down the park roads.

I think the bans for May long are necessary.
This is not 'Nam, this is wheeling.  There are rules.

Offline Bnine

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Sticky Fingers
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2010, 02:55:04 PM »
The park bans are to try and stop the high school kids from demolishing the parks and being roudy around the regular campers/park customers.  Imagine owning a cabin at a park and every year dealing with a bunch of drunk kids on May long tearing up your park, keeping your kids up till 4 in the morning with yelling and load music.  It's not cool.  Unfortulately everyone gets hit by the ban, I'm all for it.  You're right though Bill, they should ban it in the off-road areas too.

It's like a game to these kids, see what they can do in one park.  If they get kicked out see if they can get into another one and continue on.  May long is their reason to go out and get carried away.

It was like that for years at the regional park my folks have a cabin at.  Last year it was more quiet though which was nice.  Didn't have to worry about someone trying to break into cabins to find more booze or kids racing down the park roads.

I think the bans for May long are necessary.

Very well put Dac.
My Mechanic Calgary
Mobile Auto Care
403-483-1083
[email protected]

Offline yyc_tbird_sc

• Budget Lift
« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2010, 11:05:05 PM »
It's funny....this goes way farther than just the OHV and camping areas. We've got property out in the Shuswap, and we get the long weekend idiots on the house boats all weekend, and usually the week before and after. There is a federal ban on drinking and boating, but people still do it just as much as driving (maybe even more). This sucks as they're up all night with music blaring, roaring fires, garbage on the beach and in the water, and even fire works shot off at random times of the night.

I do agree that those responsible people who want to have a drink while sitting around their RV's, campfires, etc shouldn't be punished...but anywhere were there is operation of any type of vehicle or other equipment it should be regulated/enforced.
-'97 Ranger w/ 4" lift, 33" MTZ's, 4.56's, and some new sheet metal
-'89 Thunderbird SC - 285HP, 392ft/lbs [email protected]

Offline dunl

• Talks waaay too much!
    • Red Deer Jeep Packrats
« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2010, 01:02:40 AM »
Hey, I live in downtown Sylvan...same thing, including gunshots if we have an interesting night.

They're going to drink everywhere, but I'm all for a ban in 4x4 areas.
`48 CJ2A, `54 CJ3B, `97 TJ, and 03 WJ...batting close to .500 when it comes to jeep models owned vs. jeep models created.....
Red Deer Jeep Packrats
www.reddeerjeep.com

Offline Hi Lo Silver

• That CB Yapper
    • http://www.fourwheelstampeders.ca
« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2010, 05:02:00 AM »
I'm all for a ban of anyone under 30 being let out of the house unsurpervised on weekends, but hey we know that's not going to happen.

I guess the next step is to enforce the laws we have in place to combat drugs, booze, and general distruction that goes along with our society, and make those laws stick in the courts.  But hey, you know that's not going happen either. If you don't have the man power to enforce the existing laws then where are you going to get the man power to enforce an all out ban?

Being intoxicated in public is also a law they can use as far as I'm concerned. Unless of course you don't class crown government land as public.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2010, 05:39:09 AM by Hi Lo Silver »

Offline TJ54

• Talks waaay too much!
    • http://community.webshots.com/user/tj54jeep
« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2010, 09:02:02 AM »
I'm all for a ban of anyone under 30 being let out of the house unsurpervised on weekends, but hey we know that's not going to happen.

I guess the next step is to enforce the laws we have in place to combat drugs, booze, and general distruction that goes along with our society, and make those laws stick in the courts.  But hey, you know that's not going happen either. If you don't have the man power to enforce the existing laws then where are you going to get the man power to enforce an all out ban?

Being intoxicated in public is also a law they can use as far as I'm concerned. Unless of course you don't class crown government land as public.

agreed.
except for the under 30 ban, cause there's people over 30 being idiots too.
There should just be a ban on dumb-asses no matter what their age is.
I used to have an open mind but my brains kept falling out.

Offline mrjeep4

• UberWheeler
  • Don't forget your Super Safety Suit
« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2010, 10:45:48 AM »

and "Stupid should hurt"

this would solve all the worlds problems
« Last Edit: May 20, 2010, 10:49:07 AM by mrjeep4 »
03 Rubicon 6" full traction long arm on 35's, warn 9ti winch,custon flat fenders and side rails
-----------------------------------------------------

Offline dunl

• Talks waaay too much!
    • Red Deer Jeep Packrats
« Reply #25 on: May 20, 2010, 11:58:33 AM »
and "Stupid should hurt"

this would solve all the worlds problems

As would removing safety warnings:

`48 CJ2A, `54 CJ3B, `97 TJ, and 03 WJ...batting close to .500 when it comes to jeep models owned vs. jeep models created.....
Red Deer Jeep Packrats
www.reddeerjeep.com

Offline Hi Lo Silver

• That CB Yapper
    • http://www.fourwheelstampeders.ca
« Reply #26 on: May 20, 2010, 01:57:08 PM »
agreed.
except for the under 30 ban, cause there's people over 30 being idiots too.

I only picked 30 because I'm just a bit over that and am respectfull of my surroundings and people  around me.  ;)

I was wondering when someone would call me out on that one.  :)

Offline 01sahara

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #27 on: May 20, 2010, 02:17:02 PM »

I only picked 30 because I'm just a bit over that
LOL  ;)
Super Winch, 33" MT, 2 1/2" lift , CB, Flat Fender
http://melaman2.com/cartoons/singles/george-jungle.html

Offline SwampSinger

• CJA Members
  • Talks waaay too much!
  • Baconator