Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: Improve Gas MPG...?  (Read 35833 times)

Offline specialk

• CJA Executive
  • Talks waaay too much!
Re: Improve Gas MPG...?
« Reply #90 on: February 04, 2011, 07:37:47 AM »
Do it.  It will improve the economy by decreasing the drag coefficient on the Canadian dollar.  And make sure it was well lubed with bacon grease.
04 TJ Rubi

Offline w squared

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Keamy Hungry!
« Reply #91 on: February 04, 2011, 08:41:13 AM »
I realize this is an old thread, but had anyone tried a fast back soft or hard top and had any success with improved milage? Someone mentioned how milage was so poor cuz the back of the jeep was so square...I've seen some pics of fast back soft tops and really liked them, but wouldn't be worth the cost of there was no gain

Aren't you the same guy looking to go up to 33's? Any potential incremental savings that you could get from ANYTHING you do to your Jeep to increase efficiency or fuel economy will be instantly canceled out (and then some) by modifications that make your Jeep trail-capable.

I don't know how many times it needs to be said...unless you just want a convertible with removeable doors and never take your Jeep off road, spending money on mods for fuel economy is just plain foolish. The things that you do to your rig to make it more trail capable are ten times better at destroying fuel economy than ANYTHING the best engineer in the world can design to improve the fuel economy of a Jeep. No matter how fancy your calculator is, it can't circumvent the laws of physics.
I followed a rainbow out to a garage and found a leprichaun. The rainbow ended in a potted cactus on his porch, but there was no gold :(

Offline w squared

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Keamy Hungry!
« Reply #92 on: February 04, 2011, 08:42:02 AM »
Do it.  It will improve the economy by decreasing the drag coefficient on the Canadian dollar.  And make sure it was well lubed with bacon grease.

NO! You need to apply belt dessing to the windows, and make sure that you have high-zinc velcro for the closure flap if you want to decrease the drag coefficient of the dollar.
I followed a rainbow out to a garage and found a leprichaun. The rainbow ended in a potted cactus on his porch, but there was no gold :(

Offline silverfox

• That CB Yapper
  • drawrof og nac enoyna
« Reply #93 on: February 04, 2011, 08:43:46 AM »
Aren't you the same guy looking to go up to 33's? Any potential incremental savings that you could get from ANYTHING you do to your Jeep to increase efficiency or fuel economy will be instantly canceled out (and then some) by modifications that make your Jeep trail-capable.

I don't know how many times it needs to be said...unless you just want a convertible with removeable doors and never take your Jeep off road, spending money on mods for fuel economy is just plain foolish. The things that you do to your rig to make it more trail capable are ten times better at destroying fuel economy than ANYTHING the best engineer in the world can design to improve the fuel economy of a Jeep. No matter how fancy your calculator is, it can't circumvent the laws of physics.

Pfffffffft.........says you.  The laws of physics do not apply to me..................my mom says I am special.......(not specialk special but special none the less)
2018 JLU Lifted on 37's

Offline w squared

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Keamy Hungry!
« Reply #94 on: February 04, 2011, 08:46:20 AM »
not specialk special but special none the less)

NOBODY is SpecialK special.

Specialk is so special he has his own telethon.

Specialk is so special that his short bus is a TJ.

Sorry kids, that's all I've got on short notice.

Offline Pookapotamus

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #95 on: February 04, 2011, 09:05:57 AM »
water is more expensive than gas but are we complaining about that???

go to school get a good job and dont bother with gas milage.

Offline silverfox

• That CB Yapper
  • drawrof og nac enoyna
« Reply #96 on: February 04, 2011, 09:11:19 AM »
water is more expensive than gas but are we complaining about that???

go to school get a good job and dont bother with gas milage.

So is milk
2018 JLU Lifted on 37's

Offline Zombie

• UberWheeler
  • Jeff the Zombie Jeep
« Reply #97 on: February 04, 2011, 09:27:53 AM »
So is milk

so true, but it would be easier to find a dairy cow and milk it or drink water out of the tap then it is to make your own fuel, hmmm, new concept maybe, a vehicle that runs on milk!!!

I am sure milk in bulk would be cheaper, maybe if it ran on expired milk you could get it for free from the store when it goes bad,        for free!!!

I think I am on to something, but I am worried the big oil companies might try to shut me down now!
haha.
97 Red XJ, 4.5", 31" mud's, ARB front, 9500lb winch, bushwhacker's, warn sliders, HnT SYE and CV drive shaft - written off and sold for parts :(

Offline FirstTimer

• That CB Yapper
  • Gettin there!
« Reply #98 on: February 04, 2011, 11:43:20 AM »
You better go off grid for a while after those comments Steve! 

They're probably already tapping your phones and have 24hr surveillance on you and your local grocery store! 

On a more serious note, The Nature of Things featured this guy who was running his deisel VW van in Nova Scotia on used canola oil he got from a golf and country clubs dip fat fryers.  He would roll up to the loading bay once a week and take away a dozen or so vats of the stuff, for free! He said his exhaust smelt like fish and chips!  Delicious and cheap! Maybe you guys were onto something with the bacon grease, just the wrong application, don't rub it on the jeep put it in the fuel tank!
02' Black TJ Apex on 33s, 2.5"  OME HD lift, Currie JJ CA on all four corners, 4:10 axles, Husky-Liner Rear Swing-Away Bumper and Bushwackers Flat Flares.

Offline Zombie

• UberWheeler
  • Jeff the Zombie Jeep
« Reply #99 on: February 04, 2011, 01:06:49 PM »
haha, so true

ya bio fuel is a good thing, and many people have been able to do that, more so for limited use vehicles such as tractors and lawn mowers, some vehicles but it is not widely available to the average person, which would be great, not nice smelling all the time, but could be much better for the environment.
just wait till you can get it from a pump.
97 Red XJ, 4.5", 31" mud's, ARB front, 9500lb winch, bushwhacker's, warn sliders, HnT SYE and CV drive shaft - written off and sold for parts :(

Offline hps4evr

• Administrator
  • Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #100 on: February 04, 2011, 05:46:37 PM »
if you want to get far in this hobby, getting good fuel economy just isnt going to happen. what you can do is build your jeep to keep it light. avoid heavy bumpers and armor, or use aluminium instead of steel. gear your differentials to the tire size. change your driving habits when you're in the city and on the highway. any fuel you save can be burned up when fourwheeling. keep the tire and wheel combo lightweight. air intake, exhaust, electric fan, proper tune ups. all these will help a little with power and economy. but liek the other guy said, its not a huge gain.
jeeps are for wheeling, hondas are for economy. you choose.
YJ=Y’all Jealous

Offline silverfox

• That CB Yapper
  • drawrof og nac enoyna
« Reply #101 on: February 04, 2011, 05:54:04 PM »
if you want to get far in this hobby, getting good fuel economy just isnt going to happen. what you can do is build your jeep to keep it light. avoid heavy bumpers and armor, or use aluminium instead of steel. gear your differentials to the tire size. change your driving habits when you're in the city and on the highway. any fuel you save can be burned up when fourwheeling. keep the tire and wheel combo lightweight. air intake, exhaust, electric fan, proper tune ups. all these will help a little with power and economy. but liek the other guy said, its not a huge gain.
jeeps are for wheeling, hondas are for economy. you choose.

Heavy steel
Heavy tires
Heavy foot

Maybe I should just put in a bigger gas tank..................that would increase my mileage per tank  :o
2018 JLU Lifted on 37's

Offline AstraX

• That CB Yapper
« Reply #102 on: February 04, 2011, 06:02:37 PM »
Maybe I should just put in a bigger gas tank..................that would increase my mileage per tank  :o

Here ya go.  ;D

http://www.thelongranger.com.au/jklongrangefueltank.html

Offline Marco

• UberWheeler
« Reply #103 on: February 04, 2011, 06:03:31 PM »
I think elevation effects gas mileage. Driving up in elevation must get worse -driving down it gets better. so split the gas on a return trip with your freind and make sure your paying for downhill way.   ::)
locked and loaded

Offline Tinkerer

• UberWheeler
    • My (OLD OLD OLD) website
« Reply #104 on: February 04, 2011, 06:24:51 PM »
Import one of these:

I doubt you can tell from the picture, but it is a newly unveiled European Wrangler with the 2.8L turbo diesel. Click the picture for the article.
2004 TJ Rubicon 2.5" Cage Puck Lift
LT285/75R15 Trxus MT's
ARB Bullbar and Warn XD9000i winch
Garvin Wilderness Swingaway Rack
Cobra 75WXST CB, Yaesu FT8900 Ham
VE6PDB - usually on VE6RYC