Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: Raf's XJ  (Read 51526 times)

Offline Uboatcmdr

• Budget Lift
Re: Raf's XJ
« Reply #45 on: March 19, 2012, 08:12:41 PM »
Ill put the captain obvious costume away  :(

Offline JackstandJohnny

• Talks waaay too much!
  • where Jeeps go to die
« Reply #46 on: April 05, 2012, 09:10:56 AM »
your front 4 link looks alot more kickass now Raf, hella cool.  looks like you guys have put in a bunch of time to make it work.

does the driveshaft clear?  now you just need to hook up the RAM!  or is that done too?
~ rescue green JKUR on 35s.  typical rubicon build

Offline raf2379

• That CB Yapper
« Reply #47 on: April 05, 2012, 11:34:06 AM »
yeah I have spent alot of time making sure my from geometry is correct and making sure everything clears, i made my upper links longer, same length as lowers and made sure my link seperation is accurate to have almost no pinion angle change as it moves along its arc, i went through 4 revisions on the front to make it work and to clear my oil pan. At full droop and full compression and flexed out everywhich way, the DS clears by 2" now I just need to mount my full hydro steering, get my bump stops and limiting straps all set up, finish welding everything up, take the body off and either powder coat or pour15 the frame. I just need to save some money to get all the rest of the parts.

Offline raf2379

• That CB Yapper
« Reply #48 on: July 28, 2012, 02:37:37 PM »
had couple day free to work on the xj, so I went and picked up a 5.3L with 4L60E. Removed the 4.0L. old motor mounts chopped off, new ones made up and engine sitting in its new home.

Offline raf2379

• That CB Yapper
« Reply #49 on: September 23, 2012, 04:18:08 PM »
Waiting on advance adapters 4L60E to NP231 adapter. due to the 5.3L in there some changes to the front link suspension will need to be made, but while i'm waiting for the adapter to come in. I ordered up some TMR Customs 4-link brackets and installed them onto the cross member. also started to work on the rockers. they will be welded in to where the existing rocker was and bolted to the frame.

1.75" tube kickers will be welded to the new rockers.

Offline TL-Iguana

• Talks waaay too much!
  • XJ - The Official TJ Rescue Vehicle
« Reply #50 on: October 19, 2012, 09:36:49 PM »
Hey Raf, since you havent updated in a while, I have to assume you have scrapped your suspension idea for a more easy to maintain leafspring setup, and the jeep looks more similar to this now?
just make sure you address that terrible drive line angle... That thing has gotta bring all the boys to the yard with its milk shaking capabilities....
I did a Google search for "hot trannies" but nothing came up about oil coolers  :o

Worrying too much about mpg with a Jeep is similar to worrying about your sister's virginity. An ok thing to be concerned about but...

'01 XJ on 35s, '11 Jk DD

Offline raf2379

• That CB Yapper
« Reply #51 on: October 23, 2012, 03:44:54 PM »
i sure did, i'm going leaf's all around, and I solved my drive line angle issue by removing my drive shafts

Offline w squared

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Keamy Hungry!
« Reply #52 on: October 28, 2012, 06:40:11 AM »
With the clearance offered by that much lift and the superior technology of leaf springs, you can just bolt a 4 banger from a TJ directly to each axle. No driveshafts, no u-joints...no worries!
I followed a rainbow out to a garage and found a leprichaun. The rainbow ended in a potted cactus on his porch, but there was no gold :(

Offline raf2379

• That CB Yapper
« Reply #53 on: October 29, 2012, 04:30:28 PM »
time to build some x-members to mount the 4-bangers as Todd mentioned ;P

well tools came in, now i have the freedom to bend all i want.

Its a Baileigh RDB-050 it can bend 2" 0.120 wall manualy full 180 degrees with out the need to reposition the pin.

and a sweet notcher Baileigh TN250

Offline raf2379

• That CB Yapper
« Reply #54 on: November 11, 2012, 09:29:08 PM »
well all I got done is welded in my rock sliders and adapted the NP231 to the 4L60E and tripple checked front link geometry with driveshaft in place to make sure all clears.

Offline tubby

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Life's too short for a fulltime job
« Reply #55 on: November 11, 2012, 11:23:42 PM »

Great work Raf!

All this downtime with working on your rig this past year , must make you itch real bad to go wheeling again?

Are you planning on boatsiding  from the rockers to the frame?
Lockers
Cuz ya can't kick arse with only one leg

Offline raf2379

• That CB Yapper
« Reply #56 on: November 12, 2012, 06:36:11 AM »
Great work Raf!

All this downtime with working on your rig this past year , must make you itch real bad to go wheeling again?

Are you planning on boatsiding  from the rockers to the frame?

i've been itching to go wheeling for a long time. The plan is to do boatsides as you mentioned, I was planning to do it before I leave, but my dimple dies did not shop up.

Offline midnightcowboy

• UberWheeler
« Reply #57 on: November 12, 2012, 10:47:57 PM »
looks very nice. where did you score the 5.3L with 4L60E? Ive been looking for that setup for my YJ. Did you end up going pre or post 2002?
Keep up the nice work

Offline raf2379

• That CB Yapper
« Reply #58 on: November 13, 2012, 07:44:45 AM »
looks very nice. where did you score the 5.3L with 4L60E? Ive been looking for that setup for my YJ. Did you end up going pre or post 2002?
Keep up the nice work

i found it on kijiji out of a 2003 silverado, the guy hit a deer and was selling it for $800, I seen another for sale couple weeks ago on kijiji

Offline midnightcowboy

• UberWheeler
« Reply #59 on: November 13, 2012, 02:05:52 PM »
I must have missed that one. Dammit. Good find. Ill keep looking.
Why did you decide to go with the advance adapters kit rather then combining the S10 231 case with the jeep 231 case and then just buying the VSS kit from AA?
Looking for input on that part of the swap yet.

Thanks