Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: New Alberta Distracted Driver Laws  (Read 9879 times)

Offline Hi Lo Silver

• That CB Yapper
    • http://www.fourwheelstampeders.ca
New Alberta Distracted Driver Laws
« on: November 24, 2010, 07:58:21 AM »
http://alberta.ca/home/NewsFrame.cfm?ReleaseID=/acn/201011/295165C7DE347-D43D-2959-2BC4030F9C922092.html

Hope they have the gonads to enforce that now.

Looks like that effects CB and Ham operators as well.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2010, 08:38:28 AM by Hi Lo Silver »

Offline Spinalguy

• Talks waaay too much!
    • http://www.spinalguy.com
Re: New Alberta Distracted Driver Laws
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2010, 09:11:30 AM »
It does not go far enough. It should ban all communication devices unless it is for calling 911. Handsfree drivers still suck at paying attention and talking. >:(
sent from my old school rotary dial phone.

Offline w squared

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Keamy Hungry!
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2010, 09:24:47 AM »
It does not go far enough. It should ban all communication devices unless it is for calling 911. Handsfree drivers still suck at paying attention and talking. >:(

I think that they acknowledged that, but they also wanted it to be enforceable. I'd rather see the current form than see something that the cops won't enforce because it's too difficult for them to use.

It does certainly seem to apply to anyone using a CB or HAM radio for anything other than commercial or search and rescue purposes, unless the radio is equipped with a handsfree function.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2010, 09:44:45 AM by w squared »
I followed a rainbow out to a garage and found a leprichaun. The rainbow ended in a potted cactus on his porch, but there was no gold :(

Offline Tinkerer

• UberWheeler
    • My (OLD OLD OLD) website
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2010, 09:58:53 AM »
So far it doesn't exclude Hams, but I heard that exemptions are on the way.

Apparently the studies with cell phones show that it is the conversation that is most distracting, though trying to push buttons etc. to dial/text is obviously *very* distracting!  That brings up interesting points... if it is the conversation, should we not talk to our passengers?  ;D  I see lots of people turning around to face passengers when trying to talk to them.. egads!!  :o

I find that a half-duplex conversation as happens with radios is less distracting than a full-duplex conversation such as happens with cell phones, but it can be distracting nonetheless and I have no problem dropping a microphone and calling the person in a few minutes if driving demands the extra attention.. it's almost expected to have those gaps, whereas the same is not true with a cell phone. I'm working on a hands-free system for my Ham radio to comply with the laws as they exist now.

2004 TJ Rubicon 2.5" Cage Puck Lift
LT285/75R15 Trxus MT's
ARB Bullbar and Warn XD9000i winch
Garvin Wilderness Swingaway Rack
Cobra 75WXST CB, Yaesu FT8900 Ham
VE6PDB - usually on VE6RYC

Offline Hi Lo Silver

• That CB Yapper
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2010, 10:20:55 AM »
Having both Ham and CB in my rig, I'd much rather be distracted by a CB conversation than a Ham.  CB, one channel and stay there with only adjusting the squelch....maybe. Ham radio has far too many distracting features on it. Might just be me and where I have it mounted.

I'm fine with all of them being made part of the law although both the Ham and the CB can be put down during the listening phase instead of holding it up to your ear.  I do agree with spinalguy though. If you have to engage in a conversation by any means would take your mind off drivng. Dialing still has to be done somehow.   :) 

Offline Tinkerer

• UberWheeler
    • My (OLD OLD OLD) website
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2010, 12:22:29 PM »
Having both Ham and CB in my rig, I'd much rather be distracted by a CB conversation than a Ham.  CB, one channel and stay there with only adjusting the squelch....maybe. Ham radio has far too many distracting features on it. Might just be me and where I have it mounted.
I use my ham more like a CB... I tend to stick to one repeater/channel and have it mounted heads-up. There have been times where I've put a mic down half-way through my drive home and only realize I hadn't re-started the conversation until I got home.   :-[ Try that with a cellphone!  ;)

I'm fine with all of them being made part of the law although both the Ham and the CB can be put down during the listening phase instead of holding it up to your ear.  I do agree with spinalguy though. If you have to engage in a conversation by any means would take your mind off drivng. Dialing still has to be done somehow.   :) 
I think the real problem is a lack of understanding of the importance of and actual amount of attention required to drive, not so much the devices, a lot of people aren't "present" or "in the moment" when they are driving.  I wish a lot of them could think, look and plan past their nose or front bumper, but that seems to be asking far too much.  Unfortunately they can't test for or regulate "common sense", which would be the *real* solution!
2004 TJ Rubicon 2.5" Cage Puck Lift
LT285/75R15 Trxus MT's
ARB Bullbar and Warn XD9000i winch
Garvin Wilderness Swingaway Rack
Cobra 75WXST CB, Yaesu FT8900 Ham
VE6PDB - usually on VE6RYC

Offline Rubibago

• Baby Wheeler
  • Jack Stands......saving trails everyday.
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2010, 01:06:17 PM »
Okay, I will poke the hornets nest here....what about Police officers?  I would say that more than half the time I pass a police cruiser, the occupant is on a cell phone (and I would hazard a guess that it isn't always work related).....who will police the police?
'98 TJ Sahara (Sorta)
'09 Rubibago

O|||||||O

Pain Killers, not just for fun anymore.

Offline w squared

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Keamy Hungry!
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2010, 01:11:54 PM »
Okay, I will poke the hornets nest here....what about Police officers?  I would say that more than half the time I pass a police cruiser, the occupant is on a cell phone (and I would hazard a guess that it isn't always work related).....who will police the police?

The same people that currently police them. Themselves  ???

It ain't right, it ain't pretty...but it's still better than a legion of Rubibago driving soccer moms rolling down the Deerfoot in "echelon left" formation, yakking on their Iphones while BBM'ing on their Crackberries, curling their hair, and wiping snot off of the cheese doodles that their demon spawn yard apes are alternatively trying to jam up their noses and down their throats.
I followed a rainbow out to a garage and found a leprichaun. The rainbow ended in a potted cactus on his porch, but there was no gold :(

Offline cablesmurf

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Relapsed Jeep Addict
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2010, 01:13:28 PM »
My problem with this law is that everything is a distraction while driving. If the are going to ban some items, they have to ban them all...which is unrealistic.

You would have to ban:

- all car radios and stereo's
- Windows (because a hot girl, and accident, flashing police lights etc. all seen through window's are a distraction
- rear view mirrors - they take you eyes off the road in front of you
- heaters and air conditioning
- glove boxes and center consoles
- speedometers
-windhield wipers
- passengers
- cigarettes and ash trays
- chidren in car seats
- passenger DVD players
- billboard signs
- built in GPS units
- and my personal favorite...multinova! Ever been flashed in the eyes while driving in the opposite direction? That's a law suit waiting to happen.
Hi, my name is Dan and I'm a Jeepaholic

Offline FiEND

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Wrecking Ball
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2010, 01:24:46 PM »
noooo... don't outlaw scantily clad women from sidewalks

normally i hate billboard signs

« Last Edit: November 24, 2010, 01:26:26 PM by FiEND »
1Wide2High
ILV2FRT
'97 TJ [sold]
'17 JK Rubicon

Offline Hi Lo Silver

• That CB Yapper
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2010, 01:40:05 PM »
I'm assuming you guys don't bother looking at the driver who just cut you off, didn't signal to change lanes in front of you, turned without signaling,  just dropped down 10 km's per hour , or didn't merge properly. You should try it some time. You'll notice that 4 out of those five people are on the phone. 3 of 4 didn't even know they did those things and the others just have thier phone up thier butts and are in thier own little worlds..

Offline Brooneg

• Budget Lift
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2010, 02:08:01 PM »
X2 for what Hi Low Sliver just said.  I drive a bus for Calgary Transit and you would be amazed at what you see on the worst roads at the busiest times.  40 ft long, 12 ft high, and 11 ft wide and i swear the city has a special "invisibility" paint for them  >:(

Offline Spinalguy

• Talks waaay too much!
    • http://www.spinalguy.com
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2010, 02:21:30 PM »
I'm assuming you guys don't bother looking at the driver who just cut you off, didn't signal to change lanes in front of you, turned without signaling,  just dropped down 10 km's per hour , or didn't merge properly. You should try it some time. You'll notice that 4 out of those five people are on the phone. 3 of 4 didn't even know they did those things and the others just have thier phone up thier butts and are in thier own little worlds..

Ding, ding, ding...we have a winner!
Try riding a bike and these inattentive drivers become very apparent.

Al, where did you get that chart? It must have been sponsored by a cell phone provider. No way is that accurate ;)
sent from my old school rotary dial phone.

Offline FiEND

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Wrecking Ball
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2010, 02:40:52 PM »
just liked the part about being distracted by outside influences.  signs and girls... i swear in the summer downtown i am amazed i come out unscratched... and out of handcuffs
1Wide2High
ILV2FRT
'97 TJ [sold]
'17 JK Rubicon

Offline w squared

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Keamy Hungry!
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2010, 02:48:08 PM »
just liked the part about being distracted by outside influences.  signs and girls... i swear in the summer downtown i am amazed i come out unscratched... and out of handcuffs

Quoted for truth!

The first two weeks when the temperature increases and the skirts get shorter is a dangerous time to be a driver.  :P