Calgary Jeep Association

Linked Events

• Off-Road 101: June 18, 2011 - June 19, 2011

Author Topic: CJA Off-Road 101 2011  (Read 48337 times)

Offline specialk

• CJA Executive
  • Talks waaay too much!
Re: CJA Off-Road 101 2011
« Reply #180 on: June 20, 2011, 06:27:41 PM »
On behalf on the Exec,  thanks to Eric for organizing this event. 
Second, a big thanks to those memberswho came out to help Eric out on Staurday.

The last few years have been a cake walk with hot dry conditions.  We have always said we  would do this event rain or shine and this year we had rain and more rain...

Eric and team did an outstanding job getting everyone off the trail and they should be commended for that.  We could not have had better people out there instructing.   The truth is that these types of trail conditions exist and those folks who came out got to learn SO much more than those who came out in dry conditions.

Every year, there are rigs that suffer damage.  A drivers attitude towards said damage goes along way.

Those of you coming here and critizing how an event like this is put on and calling them out, well...  <bite tongue>... your comments are not appreciated and you have made few friends here...

Eric,  I'm looking forward to part deux of the 101.  We will have drier conditions...   and everyone who came out last weekend is welcome again.   Maybe, we will break up the groups and run different trails.   
04 TJ Rubi

Offline cloose

• Stocker
« Reply #181 on: June 20, 2011, 07:34:56 PM »
Coming from the guy who stalled out in the FIRST big puddle on the trail, I for one certainly hold nothing against anyone but myself for what happened (new engine time!)
Yes, I am pretty bummed out about blowing the HEMI, but it was my decision to be there and try this, and I accept that.

I still had a blast and would not hesitate to attempt this again (granted with a lot less water next time)

Offline WK2008

• UberWheeler
« Reply #182 on: June 20, 2011, 07:54:31 PM »
Quoted from Black YJ:

You know what Dracitamo, your comments have really fumed me off and basically you are saying I don't have request for others. 

I was one of the trail guides out on saturday helping these newbies.  First of all, I did not have to sacrifice the integrity of MY jeep just to help provide a more controlled environment for these newbies to learn to wheel in, but I did, why because we are a community.  In addition we provided an environment where they could try new things and see what their vehicles really can do, why, because us experienced members where close by and there to offer a hand if they were not sure or if they got into a situation where they needed a tug.  I lost count of how many Jeeps I pulled out from being stuck and how many kms I walked on saturday to make sure anyone that needed assistant or guiding got help.  I did not have to expose MY rig to that abuse, but I did without even batting an eye, same with the other guides.

Accidents do happen, weather changes and mistake are made, but you know what, we worked out a$$es off to make sure we got everyone out safely and with the minimal amount of damage to the vehicles as possible.

So before you go a make dumba$$ comments about the way someone runs a trail run find out the facts or better yet, make sure you were on the trail, otherwise squirt OFF!!!

And Trevor, just for that comment, you too 

Scott,

I must say that I cannot agree with you more. I have never seen such a great group of guys sticking together and making sure that we all had fun, stayed safe and most importantly, got home. I did sustain a lot of damage to my Jeep but that was not the fault of anyone else but me. I made the decision to venture out to an off road event after the monsoon of a spring we've had. The major damage was as a result of dropping into what appeared to be a fairly modest culvert at the end of the run. At this point, you, your dad and Brian all jumped into action and winched me out. That is what we do as a club......leave no man behind and dp what needs to be done.

In the end, my insurance will cover the damages and it looks like it going to be steep. This is not the fault of anyone but mother nature and we have to just deal with it. I look forward to showing off my shiny new paint and parts at the next meeting.

Please do not let the comments of others discourage the great community involvement and trail runs that this group puts on. Now I just have to go water the money tree and see if the leaves have started!! :)

Offline specialk

• CJA Executive
  • Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #183 on: June 20, 2011, 08:08:04 PM »
WK2008 - thanks for your post.  I a lot of us would liek to know the extent of the damage!   Keep us posted!.

Again - big thanks to the leaders!

04 TJ Rubi

Offline schroedl

• Stocker
    • One of my corners of the web
« Reply #184 on: June 20, 2011, 08:08:33 PM »
Coming from the guy who stalled out in the FIRST big puddle on the trail, I for one certainly hold nothing against anyone but myself for what happened (new engine time!)
Yes, I am pretty bummed out about blowing the HEMI, but it was my decision to be there and try this, and I accept that.

I still had a blast and would not hesitate to attempt this again (granted with a lot less water next time)

Holly crap!  You need a new engine!  I thought from what everyone was saying a sensor got wet?
vita est venatus, participate evinco!

Offline cloose

• Stocker
« Reply #185 on: June 20, 2011, 08:15:23 PM »
I pulled the intake apart once I got it towed home and *splash*

Really surprising as I certainly did not hit the water hard. Guess WK's suck water harder than most??

I got it to the mechanic today, and prelim call is hydrolocked and toast. He'll have a more detailed extent of damage tomorrow, and we'll see it is a rebuild in its future or what exactly.

Offline WK2008

• UberWheeler
« Reply #186 on: June 20, 2011, 09:02:41 PM »
I pulled the intake apart once I got it towed home and *splash*

Really surprising as I certainly did not hit the water hard. Guess WK's suck water harder than most??

I got it to the mechanic today, and prelim call is hydrolocked and toast. He'll have a more detailed extent of damage tomorrow, and we'll see it is a rebuild in its future or what exactly.

Holy crap! I thought I had a bad day. On the plus side.....I did see an SRT-8 for parts on kijiji. Can you say 6.1???

Offline Alltornup

• Budget Lift
« Reply #187 on: June 20, 2011, 09:30:16 PM »

Offline OnyxGrizzly

• Budget Lift
  • Just another red XJ
« Reply #188 on: June 20, 2011, 10:44:43 PM »
Thanks for posting those Videos!
If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything.

Dracitamo

« Reply #189 on: June 22, 2011, 07:37:25 PM »
As President of a fellow club, I'm going to jump in here unannounced and uninvited:

Please keep in mind that things discussed on the internet can be interpreted a totally different way from what actually happened.  Without actually being there, you are making assumptions as to what happened. Why?  Because everyone who wasn't there is....you're just assuming in a different way - that's how we all interpret the written text on this fne thing we have called the internet.

Now, I could go on and on with questions in the opposite direction ("If good instructions were being given, were they being followed by the new drivers?", etc.) but that won't help anyone here. It just becomes divisive.

Your offer, on the other hand, to help out someone with said repairs will do the community a great deal of good.  That's what being a good jeep community is all about.

Just please keep in mind that you may have misintepreted things after reading them on here, just as others may have misintepreted the type of person you are by your comments.  You're probably a completely rational, reasonable person to deal with in real life, and regardless of what you post on the internet, people might not always intepret it as such.

Perhaps mistakes were made.  Perhaps things can be improved.  Perhaps you'd like to get involved and help out with that.  

I may have misinterpreted things for how they happened, and it's been stated, I wasn't there. I am just going off what the posts showed. There was a lot of fun, I'm sure but I was more concerned with the issues that went wrong and how they were dealt with.
I am adjusting to how things are done here compared to where I was living in BC.  Of course you make sure that everyone gets out safe and gets home. My issue here is that the solution to the carnage is telling guys to take it to their mechanic. Why not get together and help save each other money and get together and help each other wrench? Or is that what the membership gets you? I'm was very surprised with some of the posts for a noob/stalker run. Again, just my opinion. I'm sure there were some very talented spotters (which I'm sure everyone was thankful for) who gave up their day and sucked up the weather to help teach others, but some mistakes were made. Driver, spotter, trail choice, or just accidents.... but still a little more carnage then I would have expected from a stock run.
What I find most appalling, I haven't seen anyone talking about helping others wrench on here. Seen one guy talk about hydrolocking and taking it to his mechanic. Maybe I missed the other posts. I could go on to ask questions of why things weren't done a different way or why things weren't checked (i.e. hydrolocked HEMI and having to wait to see a mechanic to find out that's what it was after people thinking it was just sensors? good to see him in good spirits about needing a new engine though) but things being said how they are on the internet and not having tone of voice, my opinions and questions have been taken a little more assertive then they were meant to be. I knew I would offend some, and I'm okay with that. Those who know me in person already would understand how I am trying to come across.

My offer still stands though. If you need an extra hand wrenching, let me know. And for anyone I do wheel with in the future, you can count on me to wrench with you anytime. Wheeling is expensive enough as it is. You don't need mechanic fee's of $110 an hour or more to do something we can do in a driveway or a garage if you have one.

EDIT: I seen MangerineFox post about people actually getting together. I just don't see a lot of it happening here compared to what I'm used to seeing with clubs.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2011, 07:40:34 PM by Dracitamo »

Offline slimbeam

• UberWheeler
  • 4" RE,3"body,35"rubber,dana 44 rear,sye,KEW winch
« Reply #190 on: June 22, 2011, 08:47:48 PM »
Im sure there is lots of talking and helping going on,  just because you aren't reading about it doesn't mean it's not happening,
I started out with nothing and so far I have most of it left

Offline cloose

• Stocker
« Reply #191 on: June 22, 2011, 08:57:32 PM »
Holy crap! I thought I had a bad day. On the plus side.....I did see an SRT-8 for parts on kijiji. Can you say 6.1???

Tempting, but no 6.1 for me.

A low km 5.7 is on its way. Should be in and back up and running in a couple weeks.

If anyone ever wants to know what a replacement HEMI costs (brand new or used) just ask.

Offline Immortal

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #192 on: June 22, 2011, 08:58:42 PM »

what does a replacement HEMI cost (brand new or used)?
if we were smart with our money we wouldn't own Jeeps.
Here's your cup of STFU... ENJOY!

Offline fug

• CJA Executive
  • Talks waaay too much!
  • Airdrie Pick n Pull
« Reply #193 on: June 22, 2011, 09:25:56 PM »
I may have misinterpreted things for how they happened, and it's been stated, I wasn't there. I am just going off what the posts showed. There was a lot of fun, I'm sure but I was more concerned with the issues that went wrong and how they were dealt with.
I am adjusting to how things are done here compared to where I was living in BC.  Of course you make sure that everyone gets out safe and gets home. My issue here is that the solution to the carnage is telling guys to take it to their mechanic. Why not get together and help save each other money and get together and help each other wrench? Or is that what the membership gets you? I'm was very surprised with some of the posts for a noob/stalker run. Again, just my opinion. I'm sure there were some very talented spotters (which I'm sure everyone was thankful for) who gave up their day and sucked up the weather to help teach others, but some mistakes were made. Driver, spotter, trail choice, or just accidents.... but still a little more carnage then I would have expected from a stock run.
What I find most appalling, I haven't seen anyone talking about helping others wrench on here. Seen one guy talk about hydrolocking and taking it to his mechanic. Maybe I missed the other posts. I could go on to ask questions of why things weren't done a different way or why things weren't checked (i.e. hydrolocked HEMI and having to wait to see a mechanic to find out that's what it was after people thinking it was just sensors? good to see him in good spirits about needing a new engine though) but things being said how they are on the internet and not having tone of voice, my opinions and questions have been taken a little more assertive then they were meant to be. I knew I would offend some, and I'm okay with that. Those who know me in person already would understand how I am trying to come across.

My offer still stands though. If you need an extra hand wrenching, let me know. And for anyone I do wheel with in the future, you can count on me to wrench with you anytime. Wheeling is expensive enough as it is. You don't need mechanic fee's of $110 an hour or more to do something we can do in a driveway or a garage if you have one.

EDIT: I seen MangerineFox post about people actually getting together. I just don't see a lot of it happening here compared to what I'm used to seeing with clubs.

I'd like to point out that what you are seeing is our open forums.  You are NOT in the CJA... you are seeing the parts of our site that we let you into.  Much of the help and hanging out etc etc is talked about in the areas of the site you can't see.. and also at the meetings and gatherings club members attend.  The way this club generally tends to work is you hang out online here... find a few open runs to go on... maybe come to a meeting or two and get to know folks.  Then you start getting invited to go on other runs or hang out and wrench.

Now I know that this is likely might offend you and I'm OK with that  ::)  8)... but if I don't know you...  I certainly wouldn't be inviting you over to my shop to work on your junk or to turn a wrench on mine until I did get to know you.  I am pretty fond of my stuff and I dont like just anyone roaming around my shop.  My time is also pretty valuable so I pick and choose where I help out (and I do help out) and usually that time goes to my family and friends first. 

So just a suggestion.... get to know the guys here... find out just how far they will go to help (and trust me its FAR!!!) once they get to know you.   
Fug
TJ Rubicon

Offline cloose

• Stocker
« Reply #194 on: June 22, 2011, 09:33:51 PM »
what does a replacement HEMI cost (brand new or used)?

installed and out the door:

$6000 used (variable of course depending on km's - mine will be this cost for a 40,000 km engine. Over 100,000 km's wasn't much cheaper)
$8500 brand new

Labour (of course) is a good sized component.