Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: Control Arm Recomendation / Snorkel  (Read 7515 times)

Offline jeepjones

• Budget Lift
Re: Control Arm Recomendation / Snorkel
« Reply #30 on: October 15, 2011, 06:36:16 PM »
Has anyone mentioned BDS yet? I've had really good luck with my fully adjustable upper/lower arms & bushings and the No BS guarantee can't be beat.

Offline Jrama

• That CB Yapper
« Reply #31 on: October 15, 2011, 06:45:00 PM »
BDS is great, but why would I pay the same for their flex arms when I can get double JJ arms?

Are the BDS like the JKS in that they twist in the middle?
« Last Edit: October 15, 2011, 06:46:59 PM by Jrama »

Offline binare

• That CB Yapper
« Reply #32 on: October 15, 2011, 08:35:54 PM »
The RE 2.5 springs are really long. id be surprised if your spring unseats befor your shock limits travel before hand... unless you got long travels. Could always run limiting straps or mount some spring clips. If your not stretching or changing pinion angles... youll be fine with that much lift on the stock uppers. Atleast till you triangulate the rear to ditch the trackbar.

Offline Jrama

• That CB Yapper
« Reply #33 on: October 15, 2011, 08:58:15 PM »
I have the 3" BDS kit and while it is great riding kit that is very reliable, The springs do unseat relatively easily and aren't very tall unloaded.

RE, AEV Currie and so on have "progessive" coils, which basically have 2 rates, one to "fill the gaps" (take the weight of the jeep)as I asked earlier and then they become linear like a typical rate spring.

Offline binare

• That CB Yapper
« Reply #34 on: October 15, 2011, 09:26:18 PM »
A progressive spring wont do anything for it unseating... just need a longer spring or as I mentioned above. Progressives need to be matched to a shock as well.

Offline yellowjeep101

• Budget Lift
« Reply #35 on: October 15, 2011, 10:28:12 PM »
BDS is the manufacturer for zone if I am not mistaken, and I am very happy with my kit, the 4" lift flexes well but is still good for the road. I'm not sure on durability yet.

Offline jeepjones

• Budget Lift
« Reply #36 on: October 16, 2011, 09:46:52 AM »
BDS is the manufacturer for zone if I am not mistaken, and I am very happy with my kit, the 4" lift flexes well but is still good for the road. I'm not sure on durability yet.
Although BDS owns Zone, Zone is not equal to BDS.  I have the BDS arms but I have Currie Springs, not many other manufacturers can touch the Currie Springs.

Offline JJonesee

• Budget Lift
« Reply #37 on: October 16, 2011, 10:51:35 AM »
The only coil that wont unseat as you are describing is a coil over..  The TJ/XJ/WJ 5 link has 3 times more down travel than required for the spring bucket.

Use limiting straps or longer bumpstops. 

4" uptravel is all that is needed.  If you need more than that you are going to fast.. Get a live bumpstop to go fast..

by the way - the rear has the same issue..
06' Rubicon LJ
52' M-100
82' Scrambler x 3

Offline Jrama

• That CB Yapper
« Reply #38 on: October 21, 2011, 03:51:42 PM »
After the install of the Currie arms I decided to flex my suspension out and see how everything was working itself out. It turns out the Currie arms gave me probably an additional 3 ish inches of down travel which is currently limited by my shocks...My old lowers would limit the travel when they came up against the bracket.

Is it ok to have the shocks limit travel? I intend to do something about eventually but I want to go wheeling in the  mean time...

Offline binare

• That CB Yapper
« Reply #39 on: October 21, 2011, 04:17:35 PM »
Shocks arent designed to hold that weight... especially if it comes hard and fast. Just take it easy on em. Limiting straps are what you need or keep all four wheels on the ground.

Offline morerpmfred

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #40 on: October 21, 2011, 05:45:35 PM »
Put straps on place or you will blow put shocks. Currently waiting for shocks to come in that where overextended / over compressed doing baja style driving

Offline TL-Iguana

• Talks waaay too much!
  • XJ - The Official TJ Rescue Vehicle
« Reply #41 on: October 21, 2011, 08:23:17 PM »
Put straps on place or you will blow out shocks. Currently waiting for shocks to come in that where overextended / over compressed doing baja style driving

Andy is right.. And it took 7 months for Rubicon to finally send me my new monotubes that blew the seals out... They are not designed to limit your axle travel, and you will toast the seals in them if you use them for that purpose. Do it right the first time, and do it once :)

I did a Google search for "hot trannies" but nothing came up about oil coolers  :o

Worrying too much about mpg with a Jeep is similar to worrying about your sister's virginity. An ok thing to be concerned about but...

'01 XJ on 35s, '11 Jk DD

Offline Jrama

• That CB Yapper
« Reply #42 on: October 21, 2011, 08:38:45 PM »
So its either buy proper shocks and have it flex right out, albeit useless flex at the coil is held in by the bump stops. This will also require the move to YJ brake lines for some extra length.

Or do some sort of limiting strap.......with my 3" lift, Or get an anti-rock....

Offline binare

• That CB Yapper
« Reply #43 on: October 21, 2011, 08:41:48 PM »
So its either buy proper shocks and have it flex right out, albeit useless flex at the coil is held in by the bump stops. This will also require the move to YJ brake lines for some extra length.

Or do some sort of limiting strap.......with my 3" lift, Or get an anti-rock....

Yup

Offline JJonesee

• Budget Lift
« Reply #44 on: October 21, 2011, 09:07:42 PM »
After the install of the Currie arms I decided to flex my suspension out and see how everything was working itself out. It turns out the Currie arms gave me probably an additional 3 ish inches of down travel which is currently limited by my shocks...My old lowers would limit the travel when they came up against the bracket.

Is it ok to have the shocks limit travel? I intend to do something about eventually but I want to go wheeling in the  mean time...

Just curious, how did you test the down travel? 

Good to hear they worked out..
06' Rubicon LJ
52' M-100
82' Scrambler x 3