Calgary Jeep Association

Linked Events

• Off-Road 101: June 18, 2011 - June 19, 2011

Author Topic: CJA Off-Road 101 2011  (Read 48502 times)

Offline BlackYJ

• Talks waaay too much!
    • http://www3.telus.net/ccjc/page0002.html
Re: CJA Off-Road 101 2011
« Reply #150 on: June 20, 2011, 08:41:46 AM »
I am glad that everyone had a good time.  It was definitely a little longer than anticipated but I had a great time helping everyone out and watching the expressions on participants faces was priceless  ;D.  You guys definitely got a very thorough introduction into offroading and handled it very well.

I only spent about $20 at the carwash, but I spent 20 mins knocking off a bunch of the mud before I got the to carwash.  However, I am sure that I still missed a bunch underneath.
'95 YJ with a few mods

Offline Anton

• Budget Lift
« Reply #151 on: June 20, 2011, 10:37:49 AM »
Well Sunday was good, i was not with the main bunch for the most of the day, i had a great time going to the falls with our Little group, it was not 101 but i learned  allot of things just being there with you guys. i will gave pics and videos posted on the photo bucket. last thing, i feel very bad about this but i have a problem remembering names. Can you guys tell me the names of the guys were with me. I am Anton and i was wheeling with red Yj that lost it wheel  :'( but was fixed , and white Cherokee that had 2 kids in there and one more Cherokee. Thanks allot for every thing and can not wait to go wheeling with you guys again.

Anton
1996 jeep cherokee.

Offline AstraX

• That CB Yapper
« Reply #152 on: June 20, 2011, 10:55:21 AM »

Red YJ is Johnny.  I'm not 100% sure who all you were out with, but I think it might have been Fraser (whiteout) and Dave (Broken Axel)

Offline morerpmfred

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #153 on: June 20, 2011, 11:00:40 AM »
I am the gold wagon in front of you Andy. I was on the third run lol helping Charlie make it out with a broken axle shaft   We turned around a bout a mile from where you turned around helping Randy get out.
We stopped every hundred yards or so to pour water on the hot logs holding his axle shaft in place from catching fire.
Kudos to commancherunner for letting Charlie use his truck and trailer to get his jeep home while everyone continued on

Offline AstraX

• That CB Yapper
« Reply #154 on: June 20, 2011, 11:07:00 AM »
Hey guys,

Does anyone know if off road driving is covered under a standard auto insurance policy? I have frame and drivetrain damage and this looks like its going to add up quickly.

Thanks

It really depends on who you are insured with, and it could vary on what they will/will not cover depending on the circumstances.  

Dracitamo

« Reply #155 on: June 20, 2011, 01:51:41 PM »
I'm not one for missing wheeling trips, but due to some issues with the Jeep, I decided I should stay home. Figured it wouldn't be that clean of a run with how wet it was out there and there would be a lot of extra carnage. Reading, I'm glad I missed out on this trip. Passing an out of province inspection would have been brutal if anything were to happen. Sounds like some cherry's got popped.

I might get banned for this or my comment removed, but I think I can share my opinion here.

If these stockers were getting banged up as bad as these guys are talking about, why wasn't a decision made to show these guys easier trails or suggest another day like Sunday. Sure you had fun, but some of the stockers are going to be out some major cash doing needless repairs. I would think that the ones leading this or those with more experience would have given the suggestions to the Stockers and noob wheelers to prevent the carnage. "Very Stocker Friendly" wasn't really showen in the comments here. Ya, we wheel and we break stuff... it happens, however reading these posts have given me a different insight on what is said and what is done here. Maybe one day I can be showen that I have the wrong opinion, but I'm not on this huge adrinaline rush as most of you are and in the next weeks when these guys realize how much it's going to cost them, how many will be getting together to help each other with the repairs? (Suggesting a mechanic is not helping with repairs)Where were the introductions? Why are guys wondering who was wheeling in front of them and behind them? My opinion would be for the guys to spend a little more time before going out and getting introduced. Personally, I wouldn't want anyone in front of me or behind me that I don't know. And if we wheel together, we wrench together. Anyway, I hope you all had a good weekend. Those of you who might need an extra hand wrenching, (I feel sorry for you if they just let you break your stuff and then told you to shove off and find a mechanic) I should be free in the evenings after I get my Jeep finished. I don't know everything, but extra set of hands is always good to have. (especially that guy who busted up his drivetrain)

Insurance - Don't worry about your insurance. It's not covered under standard auto insurance. You are going to have to pay for this out of pocket. If it were even possible, you wouldn't want to claim through insurance. They will only boost your premiums. You think paying 1000 for a small repair is bad? Your insurance would increase and you would pay over 3000 over the next few years. They are a business and will make their money off you. Busting the piggy bank is your cheapest route to go, and only route really.

Offline CiaMonkey

• Budget Lift
  • Mini me
« Reply #156 on: June 20, 2011, 02:03:36 PM »
I'm not one for missing wheeling trips, but due to some issues with the Jeep, I decided I should stay home. Figured it wouldn't be that clean of a run with how wet it was out there and there would be a lot of extra carnage. Reading, I'm glad I missed out on this trip. Passing an out of province inspection would have been brutal if anything were to happen. Sounds like some cherry's got popped.

I might get banned for this or my comment removed, but I think I can share my opinion here.

If these stockers were getting banged up as bad as these guys are talking about, why wasn't a decision made to show these guys easier trails or suggest another day like Sunday. Sure you had fun, but some of the stockers are going to be out some major cash doing needless repairs. I would think that the ones leading this or those with more experience would have given the suggestions to the Stockers and noob wheelers to prevent the carnage. "Very Stocker Friendly" wasn't really showen in the comments here. Ya, we wheel and we break stuff... it happens, however reading these posts have given me a different insight on what is said and what is done here. Maybe one day I can be showen that I have the wrong opinion, but I'm not on this huge adrinaline rush as most of you are and in the next weeks when these guys realize how much it's going to cost them, how many will be getting together to help each other with the repairs? (Suggesting a mechanic is not helping with repairs)Where were the introductions? Why are guys wondering who was wheeling in front of them and behind them? My opinion would be for the guys to spend a little more time before going out and getting introduced. Personally, I wouldn't want anyone in front of me or behind me that I don't know. And if we wheel together, we wrench together. Anyway, I hope you all had a good weekend. Those of you who might need an extra hand wrenching, (I feel sorry for you if they just let you break your stuff and then told you to shove off and find a mechanic) I should be free in the evenings after I get my Jeep finished. I don't know everything, but extra set of hands is always good to have. (especially that guy who busted up his drivetrain)

Insurance - Don't worry about your insurance. It's not covered under standard auto insurance. You are going to have to pay for this out of pocket. If it were even possible, you wouldn't want to claim through insurance. They will only boost your premiums. You think paying 1000 for a small repair is bad? Your insurance would increase and you would pay over 3000 over the next few years. They are a business and will make their money off you. Busting the piggy bank is your cheapest route to go, and only route really.

I think you kind of picked and chose your way through the comments here. Not many of us stockers were "banged up" i think we only have two casualties on saturday, and they were not very major. The problem on Saturday was the easy course they had planned was completely washed out. Then they took a route that was new to them and we got a bit lost. I knew the person in front and behind me every time, we were all introduced to each other and all had a great time for the most part. I think you should read a bit more before you post a comment like that. (not trying to be rude but you should know the facts before you post sir  ;) ) And for the record the instructors were great, they always helped us through the stuff we were facing.
Zombie Response Team

In commission- '92 YJ smittybuilt src bumper, 2x hella 700's, 2x hella 500's, cobra CB + antenne. To come: 4" suspension lift and 33" Nittos.

Retired- '12 wrangler mojave

Offline AstraX

• That CB Yapper
« Reply #157 on: June 20, 2011, 02:10:28 PM »

Not the case at all.  I am covered by my insurance company, in fact I flat out asked them..."if I roll off a cliff am I covered?"...Got a "yes, you would just have to pay your $500 deductible".  It all depends on who you are insured with.  As for not worth going through insurance...sure in some cases you are better off to pay out of pocket.  But for the guy that is talking about possible frame damage, it is probably something worth looking into.

Dracitamo

« Reply #158 on: June 20, 2011, 02:15:21 PM »
I did read the comments. It just looked like it was a bit of a gong show.
That's good the instructors were there for you... again, was just going off the comments about how bad (now known to be only 2) wheels were banged up.  Although when talking about frame and drivetrain damage, that doesn't sound minor to me. And the guy who was talking about both bumpers, headlights, and all the other stuff he listed... sounds like either the spotter wasn't paying attention or he wasn't listening... I guess to be expected if you had to take a different route that wasn't stocker friendly.

I was almost ready to retract my statement, but then I saw "The problem on Saturday was the easy course they had planned was completely washed out. Then they took a route that was new to them and we got a bit lost." I'll keep my comments closed on that one. (Was anyone given the option to redo the 101 at a later date due to the change in trail and conditions?)

As for not knowing the facts before I post, I am glad you set something to shine a positive light here in regards to the instruction.

Insurance - yes, if you roll off a cliff... from driving on a highway. Offroading is different. I suggest you look deeper into your insurance. (Just like the people in Vancouver - damages caused by riots were not covered in their insurance. They are covered for vandalism but not for riot damage)

Offline WhiteOut

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #159 on: June 20, 2011, 02:17:35 PM »
Well Sunday was good, i was not with the main bunch for the most of the day, i had a great time going to the falls with our Little group, it was not 101 but i learned  allot of things just being there with you guys. i will gave pics and videos posted on the photo bucket. last thing, i feel very bad about this but i have a problem remembering names. Can you guys tell me the names of the guys were with me. I am Anton and i was wheeling with red Yj that lost it wheel  :'( but was fixed , and white Cherokee that had 2 kids in there and one more Cherokee. Thanks allot for every thing and can not wait to go wheeling with you guys again.

Anton

It was good meeting you Anton, the jeep is coming along great. I was in the white Grand Cherokee, Dave was the Cherokee with us and Johnny was in the 3 wheeled YJ.

Offline CiaMonkey

• Budget Lift
  • Mini me
« Reply #160 on: June 20, 2011, 02:21:54 PM »
Lol alright, i'm not going to fight with someone over the internet  :-\ but if you were not there then you should keep your opinion to yourself. It was a combination of things that put us  in the situation we were in and crap happens man. It was no ones fault but that bitch mother nature lol.
Zombie Response Team

In commission- '92 YJ smittybuilt src bumper, 2x hella 700's, 2x hella 500's, cobra CB + antenne. To come: 4" suspension lift and 33" Nittos.

Offline JoNiJKs

• Stocker
« Reply #161 on: June 20, 2011, 02:29:20 PM »
Hope this works, I'm at work right now, posting this with my iPhone.
These are a couple short clips I shot with my phone.
This was lesson #1 - mud-hole crossings, the first deep mud-hole, one clip is the tan 2011 Rubicon, the other was a nice red Cherokee, and then my run through.

http://m.youtube.com/index?client=mv-google&desktop_uri=%2F&gl=CA&rdm=4mz6csp0d#/watch?v=4o9EmiSIyZc
http://m.youtube.com/index?client=mv-google&desktop_uri=%2F&gl=CA&rdm=4mz6csp0d#/watch?v=Ptjw_v2pb50
http://m.youtube.com/index?client=mv-google&desktop_uri=%2F&gl=CA&rdm=4mz6csp0d#/watch?v=N6-95jCTQio

I have another "in car" one going through real long mud-hole (lesson #33 I think, lol), but I don't think I should post it cause there' quite a few colorful words being said, lol.

Hope these links work?
« Last Edit: June 20, 2011, 02:41:28 PM by JoNiJKs »
'08 2dr JK Rubicon
OME LT HD 3.5" lift & 1" B.L.
35"x12.50x15" BFG KM2's
Smittybilt XRC bumpers & XRC10 Comp winch

Offline CiaMonkey

• Budget Lift
  • Mini me
« Reply #162 on: June 20, 2011, 02:32:07 PM »
Links are no good  :'( and i think my air dam was the only one to survive! Haha who needs aerodynamics anyways its a jeep for god sakes! Lol
Zombie Response Team

Offline WhiteOut

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #163 on: June 20, 2011, 02:38:44 PM »
Links are no good  :'( and i think my air dam was the only one to survive! Haha who needs aerodynamics anyways its a jeep for god sakes! Lol

Cut everything from "watch" and then paste it onto the end of www.youtube.com/

Offline CiaMonkey

• Budget Lift
  • Mini me
« Reply #164 on: June 20, 2011, 02:39:27 PM »
Cut everything from "watch" and then paste it onto the end of www.youtube.com/
oh ok thanks!
Zombie Response Team